Delicious cubes of sweet potato, coated in a peri peri marinade and roasted in the oven for just 20 minutes, these Nando’s Inspired Peri Peri Sweet Potato Cubes make a delicious side dish for Peri Peri Chicken and all your Homemade Nando’s favourites.
Inspired by Nando’s…
As you probably know by now, I am a big fan of Nando’s and all things Peri Peri! These oven roasted Peri Peri Sweet Potato Cubes are not something you’ll find on a Nando’s menu… but they are very much inspired by Nando’s.
I have used my usual Peri Peri Marinade (the one I use in all my super popular Nando’s fakeaway recipes) – but instead of using it to coat chicken, I’ve used it on roasted sweet potato cubes… and the result is SO GOOD!
Just one word of warning: they are extremely addictive… so make sure you make plenty of them!
Super easy to make
And these Roasted Peri Peri Sweet Potato Cubes are super easy to make! All you need to do is mix together the Peri Peri Marinade ingredients, then add the cubes of sweet potato and stir to coat thoroughly (or, even better, use your hands!) Finally, place the sweet potato cubes on a large non-stick baking tray and roast in the oven for 20 minutes, turning once. Easy Peasy!
What to serve with Peri Peri Sweet Potato Cubes
These Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes are an excellent accompaniment to all your Nando’s favourites, including:
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Thighs
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Breasts
- Nando’s Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Nando’s Chicken Butterfly
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Wings
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Burgers
- Homemade Nando’s Sunset Burgers
- Homemade Nando’s Fino Pitta
- Peri Peri Chicken Traybake
Alternatively, they are delicious with simply roasted or grilled meats and fish.
What to drink with Peri Peri Sweet Potato Cubes
My favourite wine to drink with these peri peri coated sweet potato cubes is a crisp and zesty Sauvignon Blanc. The acidity of the wine balances well with the sweetness of the sweet potatoes, but Sauvignon Blanc is also aromatic enough to cope with the spice.
If you prefer red, then I recommend a young and fruity Grenache-based red or rosé from Southern France or Spain (where Grenache is called Garnacha) would also go very well.
Can leftover sweet potato cubes be reheated?
Yes, they can! Simply put any leftovers in a plastic lidded container and place in the fridge, where they will keep for up to 4 days.
To reheat, place on a baking tray in an oven preheated to 220C (200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F) for 10 minutes, or until piping hot all the way through.
Can you freeze sweet potato cubes?
Yes, you can – though they do have a tendency to go a bit soft when you freeze them, they will still taste good. Simply put the roasted sweet potato cubes in a plastic lidded container and place in the freezer, where they will keep for up to 3 months.
Defrost overnight in the fridge, then reheat as above.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
- Homemade Nando’s Spicy Rice
- Homemade Nando’s Spiced Grains and Butternut Squash
- Classic Coleslaw
- Homemade Nando’s Rainbow Slaw
- Homemade Nando’s Corn on the Cob
- Homemade Nando’s Macho Peas
- Sweet potato wedges
- Baked sweet potatoes
Roasted Peri Peri Sweet Potato Cubes (Nando’s Inspired)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes (or to taste – See Note 1)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 500 g sweet potato skins left on (See Note 2), chopped into 1cm/½inch cubes (ish!)
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Mix together all the ingredients – except the sweet potato cubes – in a large bowl.
- Add the cubes of sweet potato and stir to coat thoroughly. (Or use your hands!)
- Place the sweet potato cubes on a large non-stick baking tray, ensuring the cubes are well spread out (use 2 baking sheets if necessary) and in a single layer.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes, turning once. (Test one to ensure it’s cooked all the way through before removing the cubes from the oven.)
- Serve with all your Nando’s favourites!
- Adjust the heat by using more or less chilli flakes. Exact ‘hotness’ will depend on the brand of chilli flakes, but as a rough guide go for 1 teaspoon = mild, 2 teaspoons = medium, 3 teaspoons = hot, 4 teaspoons = extra hot.
- I prefer these sweet potato cubes with the skins left on, but you can peel the sweet potatoes if you are not a fan of the skins.
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Peri Peri Sweet Potato Cubes for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!