A vibrant mix of cabbage, carrot, radish and spring onions, topped with mixed seeds, this delicious coleslaw is an easy homemade version of Nando’s Rainbow Slaw… except I’ve tweaked it to make it taste EVEN BETTER!
A Nando’s favourite – made even better!
It’s no secret that I am a big fan of Nando’s. I love eating in Nando’s restaurants and I really love recreating my Nando’s favourites at home! One of my favourite sides at Nando’s is their Rainbow Slaw. I just love that vibrant combo of red and white cabbage, carrots and radishes, topped with a generous sprinkle of mixed seeds.
Usually when I make my Nando’s fakeaway recipes, I try to stick as close as possible to the original, but in this particular instance I’ve made a couple of tweaks, which I hope you’ll agree make this classic Nando’s side even better! The first is I’ve slightly tweaked the dressing to make it just a little less ‘tangy’ and a touch more creamy. The second is I’ve added a little finely sliced spring onion.
I hope you’ll agree that my version of Nando’s rainbow slaw is even better than the original 😀
Super simple to make
And of course, as you’d expect from me, the recipe for this Nando’s-style Rainbow Slaw is very quick and simple to make. (And it’s all made in one bowl, to cut down on the washing up!)
All you need to do is mix mayo, vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl – to make the dressing. Then add grated carrot, cumin seeds, sliced cabbage, spring onions and radishes. Give it a quick stir and top with mixed seeds. Easy peasy!
Cumin seeds – the secret ingredient?
If you’ve ever tried the Rainbow Slaw in a Nando’s restaurant, you’ll know there’s a slightly spicy flavour in there that’s hard to put your finger on… well I can’t be 100% certain, but I’m pretty sure it’s cumin. In any case, I’ve added just half a teaspoon of cumin seeds to my Rainbow Slaw recipe and it really works (but feel free to leave it out if you are not a cumin fan!)
What to serve with Rainbow Slaw?
This easy peasy Rainbow slaw makes a great side dish for Nando’s-style Peri Peri Chicken! For example:
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Thighs
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Breasts
- Nando’s Boneless Chicken Thighs
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Butterfly
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Wings
- Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Burgers
- Homemade Nando’s Sunset Burgers
- Homemade Nando’s Fino Pitta
- Peri Peri Chicken Traybake
It also works wonderfully with roast chicken, ham, pulled pork and pan-fried salmon. And of course it makes a great option to serve at a barbecue, pot luck, buffet, party or picnic.
What to do with leftover Rainbow Slaw?
As is often the case with coleslaw, this Rainbow Slaw tastes just as good the next day, if not better! This means it’s a great make-ahead side, and perfect for picnics and lunchboxes. (As well as transporting to buffets, parties, potlucks etc.)
Put any leftover Rainbow Slaw in a lidded container and place in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze Rainbow Slaw?
No, Rainbow Slaw is not suitable for freezing.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Homemade Nando’s Rainbow Slaw
- 2 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise (I use Hellmann’s)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (or to taste - see Note 1)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 150 g carrots grated on a coarse grater
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (optional)
- 250 g white cabbage finely sliced
- 250 g red cabbage finely sliced
- 2 small spring onions (AKA scallions) finely sliced
- 4 small radishes thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons mixed seeds (I use Tesco Wholefoods 4 Seed Mix)
- Place the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the grated carrot and cumin and stir well.
- Add the cabbage, spring onions and radishes, and stir again.
- Sprinkle over the mixed seeds as a garnish and serve.
- Using 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar gives the coleslaw a really nice tang, which contrasts nicely with the creaminess of the mayo (and is similar to the tanginess of Nando’s Rainbow slaw). However, if you prefer a less tangy flavour, I recommend using only 1 tablespoon of the vinegar.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Homemade Nando’s Rainbow Slaw for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!