Quick, delicious and easy, these Nando’s style Peri Peri Chicken Burgers make a great midweek meal any time of the year and are a great alternative to the usual burgers and sausages on the BBQ in summer!
I think it would be fair to say I am obsessed with Peri Peri Chicken. I just LOVE it! There’s just something about that combination of flavours that I can’t get enough of!
And it seems you guys are the same! One of my most popular recipes on Easy Peasy Foodie is my easy peasy take on Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken, which I serve with roasted corn on the cob and my Coconut Lime Rice. Honestly it is in my top 10 EVERY SINGLE WEEK!
And you know how much I like to give you guys more of what you love…and, well, with the warm weather recently, it’s BBQ season!! So what better recipe to make as my next Nando’s style recipe, than Peri Peri Chicken Burgers!
These homemade Nandos chicken burgers are ideal for BBQs, simply marinate beforehand and then they are ready to pop on the BBQ for that classic charred flavour – and they are as easy as cooking a beef burger! Serve in a toasted bun with all your favourite extras, and when you are accepting all those inevitable compliments, smugly keep to yourself just how EASY they actually are to make!
But don’t just keep this recipe for BBQs!! It also makes a really great midweek (or even weekend) recipe to do inside too. Simply cook in a frying pan or on a griddle pan – and they are nearly as delicious as a BBQ (and a lot less effort!).
Now obviously in an ideal world you would marinate these chicken burgers in the Peri Peri marinade for a couple of hours, or even longer if you have time to spare – and it will make a difference. But if you don’t have the time, even 10 minutes will give you a delicious result – great news if you are making these on a busy weeknight!
You can obviously serve these with whatever you like, but I put my Peri Peri Chicken Burgers in a toasted brioche bun with lettuce, tomatoes and slices of red onion and served them with roasted corn on the cob (10-15 mins in a hot oven or on the BBQ) and a slight variation on my ever popular Mexican Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes (I missed out the paprika because there’s paprika in the Peri Peri Marinade and I wanted a contrast).
If you don’t fancy these suggestions, or if you are looking to create more of a spread, I can really recommend my Easy No Mayo Coleslaw, my Coconut Lime Rice, my Easy Tabbouleh Salad (it goes surprisingly well) or any of my other BBQ favourites.
Wine-wise, go for something like a zingy citrussy Sauvignon Blanc or a soft and fruity red, such as Grenache or Merlot.
Peri Peri Chicken Burgers (Nando’s Copycat)
Peri Peri Chicken Burgers:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs
To Serve (suggestions):
- 4 large burger buns, split in two and toasted
- Lettuce, sliced tomato and sliced onion
- Roasted/barbecued corn on the cob (10-15 mins on BBQ/in hot oven)
- Mexican Spiced Sweet Potato Cubes
- Or whatever you fancy!
- Mix together all of the Peri Peri Chicken ingredients (apart from the actual chicken!) in a large bowl. Place the chicken in the bowl, turning to coat each piece of chicken with marinade. (You can do this in a ziplock bag if you don’t like getting your hands messy!)
- Marinate the chicken for 2 hours in the fridge or up to 24 hours if you have the time. Alternatively, just continue with the recipe.
- Heat your griddle/frying pan for 2 minutes over a high heat (or prepare your BBQ the usual way). Place the chicken in the pan/on the BBQ and cook for 4-6 minutes on each side (depending on thickness – you can check if your chicken is done by cutting into the thickest one – if it’s not raw and pink, you are good to go!).
- Serve with all your favourite extras!
Pin Peri Peri Chicken Burgers for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!