A quick and easy recipe for a homemade version of Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken Breasts. Perfect for a busy midweek evening!
Another week another homemade Nando’s recipe…
Yep, I am back again with another Nando’s copycat recipe. This week I am sharing the recipe for my Easy Peri Peri Chicken Breasts!
I love this recipe as it’s so quick and simple… but utterly delicious! It’s quick and easy enough for a weeknight, but delicious enough for a weekend treat 😀
Made with my homemade Nando’s marinade
I generally try to avoid using processed foods where possible, so when it comes to making the peri peri marinade for this Nando’s style chicken breast recipe, I always make it completely from scratch.
But don’t worry – it’s dead easy! Just mix together a little olive oil, some smoked paprika, oregano, chilli flakes, garlic and lime juice – plus salt and pepper. Then smother this delicious paste all over your chicken breasts!
In an idea world, you would cover and put the chicken breasts in the fridge for a couple of hours to marinate – this allows the marinade to get right into the chicken and also tenderises the chicken breasts. But if time is of the essence (which it usually is for me!), just skip this step and cook the peri peri chicken breasts straight away.
Pan fried, grilled or oven baked – your choice!
Personally, I prefer to pan fry these Easy Peri Peri Chicken Breasts in my griddle pan – that way you get those lovely char marks and wonderful smoky flavour, which is what I really associate with Nando’s style chicken. Plus, it’s super quick. You can pan fry my Nando’s style chicken breasts in just 15 minutes!
However, if you prefer, you can absolutely grill, oven bake – or even barbecue these delicious chicken breasts. See the recipe card notes for the specific times and temperatures.
What to serve with Peri Peri Chicken Breasts?
My favourite thing to serve with these Nando’s copycat Peri Peri Chicken Breasts is my Homemade Nando’s Spicy Rice and a green salad.
But there are lots of other options… This easy Nando’s style chicken breasts recipe would also go well with homemade chips, sweet potato mash, sweet potato wedges, garlic bread, coleslaw, corn on the cobs… Basically anything that you would normally eat with Nando’s chicken!
What to drink with Peri Peri Chicken Breasts?
My favourite wine to drink with Nando’s style chicken is a bold and gutsy Sauvignon Blanc from somewhere like South Africa or New Zealand. If you prefer red, then go for a ripe and fruity Merlot or Grenache/Garnacha based wine. Merlot and Grenache/Garnacha based rosés also work well here.
If you are more of a beer drinker, then I recommend an IPA or golden ale.
If you like this recipe…
… you might also like
Easy Peri Peri Chicken Breasts (Nando’s Copycat)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Mix together all of the Peri Peri marinade ingredients (i.e. all the ingredients apart from the actual chicken!) in a large bowl. Place the chicken in the bowl, turning to coat each piece of chicken with marinade. (You can do this in a ziplock bag if you don’t like getting your hands messy!)
- Cover and marinate the chicken for 2 hours in the fridge or up to 24 hours if you have the time. Alternatively, just continue with the recipe.
- Heat your griddle/frying pan for 2 minutes over a high heat (see notes for alternative cooking methods). Place the chicken in the pan and cook for 7-9 minutes on each side (depending on thickness – you can check if your chicken is done by cutting into the thickest one – if it’s not raw and pink, you are good to go!).
- Serve with all your favourite Nando’s style sides!
(1) To oven bake, preheat your oven to 200C. Cook the chicken breasts for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
(2) To grill (US - broil), preheat your grill to high. Cook the chicken breasts for 7-9 minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through.
(3) To BBQ (US - grill), when your BBQ is ready to cook on, cook the chicken breasts for 7-9 minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through.
Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.