Dusted with paprika and roasted in the oven, these Homemade Sweet Potato and Smoked Paprika Chips are so much tastier and healthier than shop bought oven chips and almost as easy!
This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a penny more – thanks in advance!
Last autumn, I was really inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Everyday Super Food* recipe book (which I reviewed earlier this year). One of the superfoods he really advocated were sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are apparently one of the healthiest vegetables on the planet: packed full of fibre, vitamins and antioxidants.
Since reading Jamie’s book I have used sweet potatoes in a lot more of my recipes: my Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake, my Vegetable Mole and my Harissa, Sweet Potato and Chickpea Tagine, for example. Not only can I feel super smug about being healthy but I absolutely love the flavour of sweet potatoes – they are totally delicious!
Now, I have been making my own oven chips for yonks, but I’ve never quite got around to making sweet potato chips. Oh. My. Goodness. – I have been missing out! They taste AMAZING!!
Sweet potato chips taste great just on their own, but even more fabulous with the addition of a little smoked paprika. If you are not a fan of smoked paprika or fancy mixing things up a bit, you could try normal paprika or hot paprika, or swap the paprika for ground cumin, cayenne pepper or chilli flakes… or why not try a mixture? Cayenne pepper and cumin go particularly well together.
These homemade sweet potato and smoked paprika chips go brilliantly with almost everything. They would be fab with a steak, a homemade burger, a grilled chicken breast or why not try them with with my pan fried tuna or lamb koftes?
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Homemade Sweet Potato and Smoked Paprika Chips
- 1 kg sweet potatoes (roughly 2 medium ones)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or normal paprika/cumin/cayenne pepper/dried chilli flakes, or a mixture)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Cut the sweet potatoes roughly into chip shapes - leave the skin on for extra goodness!
- Place the sweet potatoes into a bowl and add the paprika, salt and oil. Mix together using your hands or a spoon (I find hands more effective!).
- Place the chips on a non stick baking tray, well spaced out so they are not touching each other. (You may need 2 or 3 baking trays... If you don’t have that many, improvise using roasting tins or pizza trays!).
- Put the baking trays in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the trays from the oven and carefully turn over the chips using tongs or a fish slice (do this one tray at a time so the other chips don’t get cold).
- Put the trays back in the oven for a further 10 minutes or until cooked – I tend to find eating one is the best way to know if they are cooked or not 😉
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.
*This blog post contains affiliate links, this means if you click on a link and go on to buy the product I recommend, I will get a small commission, but you will not be charged a penny more – thanks in advance!