A great alternative to traditional roast potatoes, my Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic are quick and simple to make and packed full of flavour and goodness. They are delicious with a classic roast dinner… but equally at home with midweek favourites, such as burgers, fish and chicken.
Roast sweet potatoes to have with a roast dinner
I am a huge roast potato fan – I love them every which way from classic to extra crunchy, new to teeny tiny. But what I’ve felt has been missing from Easy Peasy Foodie – until now – has been a really good roasted sweet potato recipe that you can have with your roast dinner in place of traditional white potatoes.
Not that this website has been short of sweet potato recipes – in fact one of my most popular recipes is my Mexican Style Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes… buuuut, lovely as they are, those Mexican flavours don’t quite work with a traditional British Sunday roast!
Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
Enter my Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic. These gorgeous roasted sweet potatoes are infused with the same flavours I usually put with their more traditional white roast potato cousins. And it works so well!
Garlic with sweet potatoes is of course a no brainer… but rosemary? Well I can confirm it works BRILLIANTLY too. Both the rosemary and the garlic gently temper the sweetness of the sweet potatoes meaning they work perfectly with the other elements of a traditional roast dinner.
Why are Sweet Potatoes so good for you?
Not only do these Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes taste delicious, they are also packed full of nutritional goodness. Sweet potatoes are a good source of fibre and contain lots of vitamins and minerals, such as iron, calcium, selenium, B vitamins and vitamin C. They’re also high in beta-carotene and contain antioxidants, which have been shown to reduce the risk of cancer.
Better still, sweet potatoes, unlike white potatoes, count as one of your five a day. To get the most nutrition from your sweet potatoes, don’t peel them as the skin contains much of the goodness! Roasting sweet potatoes, as I do in this recipe, will soften the skins and make them much more pleasurable to eat.
What to eat with Roast Sweet Potatoes?
You can use these Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic as a direct swap for regular roast potatoes in a traditional roast dinner or Christmas dinner. They are the perfect partner to my easy roast chicken or easy roast turkey, for example.
But these roast sweet potatoes also work well with any dish where you would normally have chips (fries), for example with beef burgers, fish and chicken.
One of my favourite midweek dishes is these Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic served with simple roasted chicken thighs / legs (rub the chicken all over with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, then roast at the same temperature as the sweet potatoes for 35-40 mins or until cooked all the way through) or grilled salmon and some green veg. Simple, healthy and utterly delicious!
Can you reheat roast sweet potatoes?
Yes, absolutely. Simply put any leftover sweet potatoes in a lidded plastic container and place in the fridge, where they will keep for 3-4 days.
You can eat them cold or reheat in an oven set to 220C (200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F) for 10 minutes or until piping hot all the way through.
Can you freeze roast sweet potatoes?
Yes – simply put any leftover sweet potatoes in a lidded plastic container and place in the freezer when they have cooled to room temperature. They will keep for up to 1 month.
When you are ready to eat the frozen roast sweet potatoes, defrost overnight in the fridge and then eat cold or reheat as above.
If you like roast sweet potatoes…
…you might like:
Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and Garlic
- 1 large sweet potato (roughly 500g / 1lb) chopped into 1cm / ½inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sprigs rosemary leaves only, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Place the sweet potato cubes on a large non-stick baking tray, drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Turn the sweet potato cubes to coat them evenly in the oil, then ensure the cubes are well spread out (use 2 baking sheets if necessary) and in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle over with the garlic and rosemary. Turn the cubes to get them all coated in the rosemary and garlic. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Serve as part of a roast dinner or with burgers, chicken, fish or anything you usually serve with chips (fries)!
- It’s super important to ensure the sweet potato cubes are spread out well over the baking sheet - if they are touching each other too much or piled on top of each other they will steam rather than roast… which won’t taste anything like as nice!
- Suitable for freezing
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Easy Roast Sweet Potatoes for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.