These Easy Peasy Homemade Beef Burgers take 5 minutes to prepare and taste so much nicer than the shop bought ones… better still, you know exactly what’s in them!
Hands up who loves a good burger! I love beef burgers – they taste fab and are a great choice for a barbecue…but so often I find the shop bought ones, well, a little disappointing – even the expensive fancy ones.
There is often that slight artificial taste going on – plus have you ever read the back of the packet? Shop bought burgers are often chock full of weird and wonderful sounding added ingredients… sodium metabisulphite, dextrose, ascorbic acid, textured soya protein, triphosphate, monosodium glutamate, smoke flavouring, hydrolysed soya and maize protein, barley malt extract …mmm yummy!
As part of my focus on eating more healthily, I have been trying to avoid processed food – especially the ones with long lists of ingredients I can neither spell nor pronounce. So lately I have been working on creating a great tasting burger that is homemade, but still totally easy peasy to make and these Easy Peasy Homemade Beef Burgers is what I have come up with.
The ingredients for my Easy Peasy Homemade Beef Burgers are as follows… good quality beef steak mince, an egg, some grated onion and garlic, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper, some salt and pepper and that’s it. Nothing weird and unpronounceable – I love knowing exactly what is in them!
And it takes literally 5 minutes to put all that together in a bowl, mix everything together and shape into burger shapes. Plus they are totally kid friendly – my kids loved these – I only added a small amount of cayenne pepper, so they weren’t spicy at all. (Though if you love spice, do add more!)
Of course you don’t have to even have to add that many ingredients into your burger, if you don’t want to – just good quality minced beef would do – though I would advise adding a little salt and pepper – just to bring out the flavour of the beef a little.
The great thing about homemade burgers is you can play around with the flavourings to make the exact flavour of burgers you like the best.
Other delicious things to add to burgers are: rosemary, thyme, parsley, oregano, chilli, cumin, paprika, turmeric, mustard…
And don’t limit yourself to beef mince – try lamb, pork, chicken or turkey mince, for a change!
These Easy Peasy Homemade Beef Burgers are fab cooked in the grill or on the barbecue. And don’t worry too much about cooking them all the way through (unless you, or the people you are cooking for, need them cooked thoroughly for health reasons).
After all, you wouldn’t cook a steak till it was completely cooked through (well I wouldn’t anyway!), so no need to cook these burgers until they are dry and tough – a little bit pink and juicy in the middle is much tastier.
(Though obviously make sure chicken and turkey burgers are thoroughly cooked – no one likes rare chicken, nor the effects of food-poisoning!!).
These Easy Peasy Homemade Beef Burgers can be served in buns with all your favourite toppings, or why not have them with homemade chips?
You could try them with my delicious Sweet Potato and Smoked Paprika Chips or my Easy Peasy Homemade Oven Chips. If you want to be super good, just eat one of these burgers with a massive plate of salad and feel smug for the rest of the day 🙂
Wine-wise, I would go with something big and red and gutsy with these beef burgers – Cabernet Sauvignon (from somewhere like Australia, South Africa or Chile), Argentinian Malbec or South African Pinotage all work well.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Easy Peasy Homemade Beef Burgers
- 500 g good quality beef steak mince
- 1 red onion grated
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Burger buns, chips and salad to serve
- If you are cooking these on your barbecue, get your barbecue all ready to start cooking.
- If you are cooking under the grill (broiler), preheat your grill to medium-high, leaving your grill tray in the grill so the bars get nice and hot (this will help stop the burgers sticking – if you have problems with this, you could also lightly grease the bars with oil).
- Combine all the burger ingredients in a bowl until they are really well mixed together – I find it easiest to do this with my hands (but don’t go too mad or you will make the burgers tough).
- Shape the mixture into 4 burger shapes.
- Grill or barbecue for 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on how well cooked you like them. I usually find 4 minutes on each side on a fairly high grill is just perfect.
- Serve in buns and/or with chips and a big plate of salad!
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!