This Quick Pickled Cucumber, flavoured with dill, makes a delicious accompaniment to serve with IKEA style Swedish Meatballs, cured fish, burgers and cold meats.
The perfect accompaniment to Swedish meatballs
Last week I shared with you my love of IKEA meatballs and my recipe for Easy IKEA Style Swedish Meatballs. In IKEA I usually have their meatballs with mashed potatoes, creamy gravy and lingonberry jam. However, when I went on holiday to Malmö in Sweden last year, and had real Swedish meatballs in actual real Sweden, the meatballs there were served with pickled cucumbers.
I can’t quite put into words how well this went… except to say that it kind of felt like the missing piece of the jigsaw in that meal!
Homemade Quick Pickled Cucumber
On coming home from our holiday, I eagerly worked on recreating, not just the delicious Swedish Meatballs, but also the amazing pickled cucumber that I’d had on the side. It took a few goes to get it just right… but I am really pleased with the results.
It’s super quick to prepare too – just 5 minutes from start to finish. And you can eat it right away too! You can easily make this while your meatballs are cooking (though this cucumber pickle tastes even better if you make it a few hours earlier).
All you need to do is finely slice a cucumber and chop some dill, then half fill an old jam jar with apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar, if you prefer) and add a little sugar, salt and pepper, plus the dill. Finally add in the sliced cucumber and top up with extra vinegar, if needed. Give it a little shake and you are done!
How long will Quick Pickled Cucumber keep in the fridge?
You can eat this Quick Pickled Cucumber right away, but it tastes even better if you leave it in the fridge for a few hours. Just give it a quick shake before serving.
It will keep for up to a week in the fridge.
What to serve Pickled Cucumber with?
This Quick Pickled Cucumber makes a delicious accompaniment to serve with IKEA style Swedish Meatballs. But it also works really well with cured fish and cold meats… and even sandwiches!
It’s also a great relish to serve in burgers instead of gherkins.
If you like my Quick Pickled Cucumber…
… you may also like:
Quick Pickled Cucumber
- 100 ml apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 5 twists black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dill chopped finely
- ½ cucumber sliced thinly
- Take an old clean jam jar and add the vinegar, salt, sugar, black pepper and dill. Screw on the lid and shake until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Fill the jar with the sliced cucumber. Top up with a little extra vinegar, if necessary, so the cucumber is completely submerged under the vinegar.
- Screw on the lid and shake again.
- Either serve straight away or leave for a few hours in the fridge before serving for an even better taste!
- This Quick Cucumber Pickle will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Quick Pickled Cucumber for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!