For me Christmas wouldn’t be the same without braised red cabbage. Plus it’s really easy to make and it’s a great make ahead dish for Christmas and beyond!
My favourite festive dish…
If there is one dish I have to make at Christmas it is this one, forget the sprouts, stuff the turkey (sorry I couldn’t resist that gag), but for me Christmas wouldn’t be the same without braised red cabbage.
I love the taste, I love the colour, but most of all I love how the aromas of cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg fill the house and make it smell and feel like Christmas. Plus it’s really easy to make and it’s a great make ahead dish for Christmas and beyond!
A great make-ahead dish
I usually make this on Christmas eve. It’s delicious with roast duck, lentils and mashed potato and brilliant reheated the next day and served with turkey and all the trimmings.
This recipe makes at least enough for 6 people for 2 days, if not more. Making it on Christmas eve means that’s one Christmas dish I’ve got done and out of the way before Christmas Day has even started. Plus having those gorgeous, Christmassy aromas wafting through my house really puts me in the mood for Christmas!
How to reheat braised red cabbage
To reheat this spiced red cabbage on Christmas Day is a doddle: just place the cabbage in a saucepan and add about 100 ml water. Heat gently with a lid on until the cabbage is hot (about 5 minutes) and serve! Easy peasy!!!
What to serve with Braised Red Cabbage?
This delicious spiced red cabbage pairs really well with roast meats such as turkey, duck and chicken. It would go brilliantly with…
Braised Red Cabbage
- 500 g red cabbage sliced finely
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small red onions (or 1 large one) diced finely
- 1 large Bramley apple diced finely
- 1 clove garlic diced finely or crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cloves ground
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespooons red or white wine vinegar
- 10 g butter
- Prepare all your ingredients as directed above. Mix together the ground spices and brown sugar in a bowl. Preheat your oven to 160C / 140C fan / gas mark 3 / 325F.
- Arrange about a quarter of the cabbage at the bottom of a large casserole dish
- Sprinkle over about a third of the onions, a third of the apple, a third of the garlic and a third of the sugar and spice mix. Add a few twists of salt and pepper.
- Add another layer of cabbage, followed by another layer of onions, apple, garlic, spices, salt and pepper.
- Repeat a third time and then top with the remaining red cabbage.
- Pour over 3 teaspoons of red or white wine vinegar (this will help preserve the colour of the cabbage, so don’t miss this step out!) and dot with approximately 10g of butter.
- Put a tight lid on the casserole dish (use foil if you don’t have a lid) and cook in your pre-heated oven for 2 ½ hours, stirring spice during cooking time.
- Serve immediately or leave to cool then store in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!