Want a really simple Christmas starter that takes virtually no effort and doesn’t fill you up too much before the main event? Why not try this delicious Roasted Pear, Stilton and Walnut Salad?
You can make this salad with uncooked pears, but roasting the pears takes them to a new level of yumminess and you can pop the walnuts in the roasting tray for the last 5 minutes of cooking time, which really brings out their nutty flavour and makes them totally delicious.
If you find stilton a bit strong, try dolcelatte which is milder and creamier. Or, if you are not a fan of blue cheese, try goats cheese or feta.
Roasted Pear, Stilton and Walnut Salad
- 4 pears
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey plus extra for drizzling
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 100 g walnuts
- 100 g stilton
- 100 g bag watercress
- Preheat your oven to 200C
- Cut the pears into eighths lengthways and remove the pips and core.
- Place on a baking tray and roast for 15 mins.
- Meanwhile make the dressing: mix 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons of honey, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard in a jam jar.
- After 15 minutes, remove the pears from the oven, add the walnuts and a drizzle of honey over everything and roast for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile divide the watercress between 4 plates, crumble the stilton and divide between the plates.
- Remove the pears and walnuts from the oven and divide between the 4 plates
- Drizzle with the dressing and serve immediately.