So fresh and healthy, this Beetroot, Kale and Orange Salad totally blew me away the first time I tried it! I know it sounds kind of an odd combination, but it really, really works and I will definitely be making this again – really soon!
Last week, I reviewed Madeleine Shaw’s latest book Ready Steady Slow and I was so excited by her food, I just had to share a couple of my favourite recipes from the book. On Tuesday I shared her lovely Thai Chicken Salad and today I am sharing this amazing Beetroot, Kale and Orange Salad.
This salad is just bursting with goodness. Beetroot, Kale and Orange are total superfoods and the salad is finished with a lovely sprinkling of pumpkin seeds, which are also really nutritious and super good for you. After I ate this clean and zingy salad, I honestly felt healthier – it is so full of goodness! And it is so easy to throw together too. It takes less than 15 minutes to make and would make a perfect packed lunch. (A word of caution, though, due to beetroot’s amazing staining properties, it might not be the perfect packed lunch to take when you are wearing that new white shirt and/or have an important afternoon meeting – you have been warned! )
I found this salad really filling and felt absolutely no need for any bread, but if you do feel you need a little extra something – this would be fab with some wholemeal pitta breads or crusty French bread to mop up all those juices.
If you fancy a glass of wine with this, I would recommend something aromatic, like a Gewürztraminer or a Sauvignon Blanc. A dry, fruity rosé might also work well here.
Beetroot, Kale and Orange Salad
- 4 heaped tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Salt to taste
- 200 g kale
- 2 oranges peeled and sliced
- 8 small cooked beetroots or 4 large ones, sliced
- 2 balls of mozzarella ripped into rough chunks
- Heat a small frying pan on a medium heat and toast the pumpkin seeds for a few minutes, taking care not to burn them. Tip them onto a plate to cool.
- Mix together the honey, olive oil, vinegar, orange zest and salt in a large bowl. Add the kale and massage the dressing into the kale using your fingers for 2 minutes. By this time the kale will be softer (and much nicer to eat raw!).
- Tip the kale out onto a serving dish and add the mozzarella, beetroot and orange slices. Scatter over the pumpkin seeds and drizzle over any remaining dressing.
Pin Beetroot, Kale and Orange Salad for later