This Thai Chicken Salad is delicious, easy to make and super healthy. The honey drizzled cashews add a touch of extra yumminess as well as even more goodness.
Last week I shared my review of Madeleine Shaw’s latest book Ready Steady Glow – a wonderful book full of delicious, healthy recipes that are easy to make and fit into real people’s real lives. This week I really want to share with you a couple of my favourite recipes from that book. Today I am sharing her delicious Thai Chicken Salad, with a couple of my own little twists. And on Thursday I will be sharing her amazing Beetroot, Kale and Orange Salad.
I was totally blown away by this delicious chicken salad. The flavours work so well and it is so full of goodness from the chicken, turmeric, chilli, sugar snap peas and cashew nuts. To add a bit of extra goodness and deliciousness I have added in some avocado and to make the nuts really extra scrumptious, I add a drizzle of honey after I have toasted them, which just makes them taste amazing.
This salad is really adaptable. It would be a great one for using leftover roast chicken – making this salad even quicker and easier to do – fabulous for a quick Monday evening meal. It would also work really well as a veggie version – substitute extra avocado and nuts for the chicken. It is naturally gluten free and dairy free making it a great option for a buffet.
If you can’t quite cope with the idea of no carbs, you could serve this salad with some bread or rice, but really I found it quite filling on its own and any sort of accompaniment didn’t really feel necessary…except a glass of wine of course! A dry Riesling or an aromatic Sauvignon Blanc would work really well with this dish.
Thai Chicken Salad with Honey Drizzled Cashews
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 red chilli finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cm ginger finely grated
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- Salt to taste
- 4 small chicken breasts
- 100 g cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 little gem lettuces shredded
- 4 spring onions finely sliced
- 200 g sugar snap peas cut in half
- 2 avocados cut into thick slices
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Basil leaves for scattering
- Mix together the turmeric, chilli, ginger, lime zest and a little salt in a bowl. Add the chicken breasts and rub the spice mix all over the chicken breasts so they are well coated.
- Heat up a griddle pan on high for 1 minute. Add the chicken and fry for 3 minutes on the first side, until nicely charred. Flip the chicken over and then turn the griddle down. Cook for 6 minutes on the second side or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the griddle pan and put on a plate to rest. Then slice or shred the chicken when cool enough to handle.
- While you are cooking the chicken, put a small frying pan over a medium heat and add the cashew nuts. Cook gently until the nuts are brown on both sides. Drizzle over the honey and allow it to bubble for a few seconds then turn off the heat. Tip the nuts onto a plate or they will weld themselves to the pan – you have been warned 😉
- Once the chicken and the cashew nuts are ready you can start to assemble the salad: first scatter the prepared lettuce, sugar snap peas and spring onions on a serving platter. Next add the sliced avocado and chicken. Top with the cashew nuts, extra chilli and basil.
- Finally mix the olive oil, lime juice and a little salt in a little bowl or jam jar and drizzle over the salad. Serve the salad just as it is, or with warm crusty bread, pittas or flatbreads and a glass of aromatic white wine.
Pin Thai Chicken Salad with Honey Drizzled Cashews for later