This Chicken, Avocado and Mozzarella Salad is a great way to use up a small amount of leftover leftover roast chicken. No leftover roast chicken? No problem! Simply use ready-cooked chicken from the supermarket, or quickly stir-fry a diced chicken breast.
The inspiration for this chicken salad…
The inspiration for this dish comes from the traditional Italian “caprese” salad of mozzarella, tomato and basil. I’ve added cooked chicken and avocado, and swapped fresh tomatoes for sun-dried ones to create a salad that is a little more substantial and packed with even more delicious flavours, yet still super quick and simple to make. It makes a great easy peasy lunch or light summer supper!
Super easy chicken salad
If you are using leftover roast chicken or a pack of ready-cooked chicken from the supermarket, this salad could not be easier to make! Simply scatter chopped lettuce on a plate. Then add diced avocado, torn mozzarella, shredded chicken, thin strips of sun-dried tomatoes and basil leaves. Finally, drizzle with good quality olive oil and scatter over a little salt and pepper. From start to finish, this salad takes less than 10 minutes to put together.
No leftover roast chicken? No problem…
This salad is a brilliant way to use up a small amount of leftover roast chicken. But if you don’t have any, simply use ready-cooked chicken from the supermarket. Alternatively, dice a large chicken breast and stir-fry for 5 minutes over a high heat, or until fully cooked (no pink bits!), allow to cool slightly, then follow the rest of the recipe, as written.
Which sun-dried tomatoes?
The best kind of sun-dried tomatoes to use in this recipe are the semi-dried tomatoes in oil, that you often find in the antipasti section of the supermarket. If you can only find the fully-dried tomatoes, rehydrate according to packet instructions first, before following this recipe.
What to serve with chicken salad?
This Chicken, Avocado and Mozzarella Salad is quite substantial in its own right, and is a great option if you are looking to reduce your carb intake. Alternatively, if you are feeling the need for carbs, add some crusty bread for mopping up the delicious olive oil and juices.
What to drink with chicken salad?
Unoaked, or lightly-oaked, Chardonnay is a great option with chicken salad. A Sauvignon Blanc also works well. If you want to stick with the Italian theme, then I recommend a Soave or a Gavi.
I don’t recommend red wine with this salad, but you could definitely get away with a dry rosé.
Can you make chicken salad ahead of time?
This is not a recipe that keeps well, so I recommend you make it just before eating, if at all possible. If you need to make this salad ahead of time, keep the lettuce in a separate container – to keep it as fresh as possible – and mix all the other ingredients together. Add the lettuce to the other ingredients just before serving.
Can you freeze chicken salad?
Sadly, no. Like most salads, this Chicken Salad does not freeze well.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Chicken, Avocado and Mozzarella Salad
- 1 sweet gem lettuce sliced
- 1 large avocado diced
- 125 g ball mozzarella ripped into small chunks
- 200 g leftover roast chicken shredded (see Note 1)
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes (the ones that come in oil and don't need rehydrating), sliced thinly lengthways
- Small handful fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Slice the lettuce and divide between the 2 plates. Scatter over the avocado, mozzarella, cooked chicken, sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil leaves. Dress lightly with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, plus a little salt and pepper. And serve!
- This salad is a brilliant way to use up a small amount of leftover roast chicken. But if you don't have any, simply use ready-cooked chicken from the supermarket. Alternatively, dice a large chicken breast and stir fry for 5 minutes over a high heat, or until fully cooked (no pink bits!), allow to cool slightly, then follow the rest of the recipe, as written.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Chicken, Avocado and Mozzarella Salad for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
Follow me on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get delicious, stress free recipes straight to your inbox every week?
Honest mum says
YUM! Having this today now. Thanks for linking up to #tastytuesdays
Eb Gargano says
Thanks, Vicki. Hope you enjoy it!