This delicious salad of earthy puy lentils, sweet roasted beetroot, salty feta and wild rice is such a fabulous combination of flavours, and can be served warm or cold, making it very versatile. It’s great for packed lunches, picnics and potlucks, but is also pretty enough to serve at a dinner party.
A quick and easy beetroot salad
This delicious Warm Lentil, Beetroot and Feta Salad with Wild Rice is so easy to make. Simply roast beetroot and red onion wedges, then add pre-cooked puy lentils. Meanwhile, cook your rice according to packet instructions. Next, arrange the rice on a simple serving platter, top with the beetroot/lentil mixture. Finally, finish with crumbled feta, finely chopped parsley and a simple balsamic dressing.
Serve warm or cold
This easy Lentil, Beetroot and Feta Salad is very versatile. It’s delicious served warm, as soon as it is made. But it is just as delicious served fridge cold, making it a great option for packed lunches, picnics and potlucks.
Delicious with white, brown or wild rice
I like to serve this Lentil, Beetroot and Feta Salad with a combination of white and wild rice. You can get this combination ready-mixed from most supermarkets. (I use Tesco Easy Cook Long Grain And Wild Rice.)
But this simple warm rice salad will work with any type of rice you prefer – white, brown or wild rice all go well with the puy lentils, roasted beetroot and feta.
Tips for roasting beetroot
If you have never roasted beetroot before, you are going to love how easy it is. (Not to mention how tasty – so much nicer than pickled beetroot in my opinion!)
Here are my top tips for roasting raw beetroot…
- Wear gloves and use a chopping board you don’t mind getting stained. (If you don’t have suitable gloves, it’s totally OK – just know your hands will be stained purple for about 24h!)
- Chop the beetroot into even sized wedges – so they cook evenly. Aim to make the wedges a similar size to the red onion wedges.
- There’s no need to peel the wedges. The skins are edible and this will save you a lot of hassle!
- Roast the beetroot wedges for 20 minutes at 200C (180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F).
- Turn the wedges once during cooking – after about 10 minutes – to ensure they get evenly cooked and don’t burn.
- Take care handling the beetroot at all stages – the beetroot will stain purple everything it touches!
What to serve with beetroot salad?
This salad really is a complete meal in its own right. But if you want to make it more substantial, you could simply serve it with some crusty white bread and/or a green side salad.
What to drink with beetroot salad?
The earthy flavours of beetroot and puy lentils in this recipe go well with Pinot Noir – choose one from somewhere like New Zealand, Australia or California.
However, because this salad also includes sharp and tangy feta cheese, this salad also goes well with zingy Sauvignon Blancs from places like New Zealand or Chile.
Can you reheat this salad?
Technically you can (but do be super careful when reheating rice – always follow food safety guidelines.) However, I do not recommend it. Instead I recommend you refrigerate any leftovers and eat them fridge cold the next day.
Can you freeze this salad?
Technically you can (but do be super careful when freezing and defrosting rice – always follow food safety guidelines.) However, I do not recommend it. This is a recipe best made fresh on the day, or at most one day in advance.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Warm Lentil, Beetroot and Feta Salad with Wild Rice
Salad & Rice
- 1 red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 500 g baby beetroot cut into wedges of a similar size to the onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 250 g pack ready to eat puy lentils I use Merchant Gourmet
- 200 g rice I use a mixture of wild and long grain white rice from Tesco
- 150 g feta cheese crumbled, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200C /180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F.
- Place the red onion and beetroot wedges in a roasting tray. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle over a little salt and pepper. Turn the vegetables in the oil, then spread them out into a single layer.
- Roast in your preheated oven for 10 minutes, turn the vegetables, then roast for a further 8 minutes or until the beetroot is soft (check by inserting a knife – it should go in easily) and the red onion is just tinged with golden brown but not burnt!
- Meanwhile cook the rice according to packet instructions / your own preferences.
- When the red onions and beetroot are ready, add the puy lentils to the tray and give everything a stir. Spread out again in the roasting tray and return to the oven for 2 minutes, by which time the puy lentils should be warmed through.
- While the lentils are warming, mix together the dressing ingredients in a small jug or jam jar.
- After the 2 minutes are up, remove the roasting tray, add the dressing and stir everything together.
- Place the rice on a large serving platter. Top with the beetroot/onion/lentil mixture. Crumble over the feta cheese and, finally, scatter over the chopped parsley.
- Serve warm or cold, on it's own or with crusty bread, a green side salad and a glass of Pinot Noir or Sauvignon Blanc.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Warm Lentil, Beetroot and Feta Salad with Wild Rice for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!