This recipe is so quick and easy. It is ready in the time it takes to cook pasta and uses only a few simple ingredients. A great recipe to make when time is short, but you don’t want to miss out on flavour.
Carbonara is traditionally made with pancetta, but works just as well with ordinary bacon, which is more readily available and more likely to be lurking in the fridge. Use whichever you prefer!
Easy Peasy Carbonara
- 300 g spaghetti or linguine
- Olive oil
- 200 g bacon or pancetta, chopped into small pieces
- 1 garlic clove crushed or grated
- 2 eggs preferably organic (it will make the sauce taste better and also it's nicer for the chickens!)
- Salt and pepper
- 50 g parmesan finely grated, plus extra to sprinkle on top
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions / your preferences.
- Pour a tiny drizzle of oil into a frying pan and add the pieces of bacon. Gently fry until golden brown. This should take about 3 minutes.
- When the bacon is almost done, add the garlic and fry for one more minute, then turn off the heat, but leave in the frying pan.
- Crack the two eggs into a small jug and add the salt and pepper, whisk with a fork until the yolks and whites are combined.
- When the pasta is cooked, turn off the heat, drain and return to the pan along with a few spoonfuls of cooking liquid. (I find this happens naturally if you do it quickly.)
- Quickly tip the eggs into the pasta and stir to coat the pasta in egg. The egg should gently cook in the residual heat of the pasta and the pan. Do not put the pan back on the heat.
- Next, sprinkle in the parmesan and stir again.
- Finally, tip in the bacon and garlic mix. Stir everything together to make sure it is well mixed and everything is coated in the sauce.
- Serve with extra parmesan to sprinkle on top and some more black pepper.
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…