Got a small amount of leftover roast chicken? Need a speedy but delicious recipe? Then this Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta is for you! Chicken + bacon + peas + garlic + cream + pasta – and all on the table in under 15 minutes. You KNOW this is going to be a winner! (No leftover roast chicken? Just use ready cooked chicken from the supermarket.)
What to do with a really small amount of leftover roast chicken?
Isn’t it always the way… you cook a lovely roast chicken, thinking that you have enough for 2 meals… only everyone is a teensy bit greedy (because is was suuuuch a nice roast chicken) and you end up with an annoyingly small amount of roast chicken left over… which is not really enough to do another whole meal? But you don’t want to throw it away, right?
Enter my Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta! This speedy dinner is perfect when you only have a small amount of roast chicken. You can feed a family of 4 with this recipe, even if you only have 200-300g (7-10oz) of leftover roast chicken.
Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta
And this recipe is just so easy and super quick! All you have to do is fry off some lardons (or diced bacon) and garlic, add the chicken and some cream (chuck in some leftover gravy too, if you’ve got some – even just a tiny amount will seriously elevate this recipe), then throw in some frozen peas (no need to defrost first) and boom! All ready in less than the time it takes to cook the pasta 😀
What to serve with Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta
To be honest this is the kind of easy midweek meal I will just serve as it is – with a little grating of parmesan on top and a few grinds of black pepper.
But if you want to serve a side dish, a little green salad would go great with this Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta.
What to drink with Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta
If you have any wine left over from when you had the roast chicken, that will probably be a great match for this Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta too!
If not, then I recommend an unoaked or lightly oaked Chardonnay – something like a Chablis would be great, a Loire or NZ sauvignon blanc or a crisp Italian white like a Soave.
I don’t recommend red with a creamy pasta dish like this. Cream and red wine tend not to work very well together.
Can you reheat this Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta?
Yes… you can. But be mindful of when the chicken was cooked and don’t keep this longer than 3 days after the chicken was first cooked. Place any leftovers in a plastic lidded container and keep in the fridge until required.
My best tip for reheating would be to turn the leftovers into a pasta bake. Simply grate over some cheese and cook in an oven preheated to 180C (160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F) for 10 to 15 minutes, until piping hot all the way through. Alternatively, you can reheat this Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta in the microwave.
Can you freeze this Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta?
I wouldn’t recommend freezing this Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta.
No leftover roast chicken?
This Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta recipe was MADE for using up small amounts of leftover roast chicken… but if you don’t happen to have any leftover chicken, you can simply use some cooked chicken (thigh or breast – your choice) from the supermarket.
For the photos I used a box of 4 small cooked chicken thighs, which yielded about 200g (7oz) meat, once I’d removed the skin and bones.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta
- 300 g fusilli pasta or your favourite pasta shape
- 150 g smoked lardons (or diced smoked bacon)
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 200 g leftover roast chicken shredded (or supermarket ready-cooked chicken)
- 150 ml double cream (more if you like your pasta extra creamy! You could also use creme fraiche if you prefer.)
- 50 ml leftover chicken gravy (optional – just if you happen to have any)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 100 g frozen peas (no need to defrost)
- Parmesan to serve (optional)
- Green side salad to serve (optional)
- Start by putting the pasta on to cook – by the time it is cooked the sauce will be ready. Cook according to the packet instructions or your own preferences.
- Put a large frying pan over a high heat and heat for 1 minute. Put the lardons straight into the dry pan (no oil needed) and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown, stirring frequently.
- Turn the heat right down and add the garlic. Fry for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the chicken, cream, gravy (if using), salt and pepper. Then increase the heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the chicken is piping hot all the way through. Stir occasionally.
- Add the frozen peas, give the sauce a good stir, then cook for 1 more minute.
- Drain the pasta when cooked and add to the sauce along with a little of the pasta cooking water – just enough so the sauce is to your preferred consistency. Stir through to combine thoroughly.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan grated on top and/or a simple green salad on the side.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Pasta for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.