This Easy Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake is the ultimate easy peasy midweek meal! Simply place sausages, sweet potatoes, peppers and onions in a baking tray, drizzle over some oil, add some seasoning and roast in the oven – that’s it. Perfect for when life is super busy, but you still want to eat well.
Why traybakes are so great!
If you are a fan of easy peasy foodie, you will know I ADORE traybakes. For me they pretty much epitomise what Easy Peasy Foodie is all about…
Traybakes are so easy peasy… you literally throw some ingredients into a roasting tin, pop that tin in the oven and voilà – a complete meal!
But traybakes are also foodie… roasting meat and veg pretty much always makes them taste better – the oven concentrates the flavours and adds caramelisation and a rich umami depth.
And traybakes also encompass many of the other trademarks of my recipes… they are low effort, have a very quick prep time, the oven does most of the work… and they are generally pretty healthy too!
In short, traybakes are perfect for those of us who have busy lives and so not enough time as we would like to cook… but still want to make great tasting, nourishing, homecooked food.
Easy Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake
Sausages and sweet potatoes are two of my favourite traybake ingredients… they both massively benefit from the traybake treatment (give me an oven roasted sausage over a fried one and an oven roasted sweet potato over a boiled one, any day!)… but I’ve never actually put them together in a traybake before…
…which is madness, because they work so well together! The combination of meaty, salty sausage and the sweetness of the sweet potato is properly a match made in heaven.
To go with this awesome combo, I’ve added peppers and onions (both things that are also totally awesome roasted), some fresh thyme, plus traybake faithfuls: olive oil, salt and black pepper.
The result is super tasty and super easy… just perfect for busy weeknights.
What to serve with Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake?
This Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake is very much a complete meal in its own right… but I like to serve it with a simple side salad for added goodness.
What to drink with Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake?
This Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake goes well with full-bodied Southern French reds, young Riojas and other similar wines. If you prefer white, it works surprisingly well with Sauvignon Blanc.
Can you make this Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake veggie?
Absolutely! Simply use Quorn Sausages instead of normal ones, but follow the rest of the recipe exactly as written.
(If you use a different brand of veggie sausage, you may have to reduce the cooking time as 45 minutes will be too long for many types of veggie sausage.)
Can Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake be reheated?
Yes! This traybake makes great leftovers. Simply place any leftovers in a plastic lidded container and store in the fridge, where they will keep for up to 3 days. The leftovers are delicious hot or cold.
To reheat leftover Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake, place the leftovers in an ovenproof dish, in an oven preheated to 180C (160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F). Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the sausages are piping hot all the way through.
Alternatively, reheat in the microwave until piping hot.
Can Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake be frozen?
You can, but I wouldn’t recommend it. Freezing will mess with the texture of the veggies – it will make them quite soft and mushy. However, you can absolutely freeze the sausages – they freeze and defrost really well.
If you do choose to freeze this dish, defrost overnight in the fridge and then reheat as above.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 good quality sausages (the nice big ones, I usually use Tesco Finest Traditional Pork)
- 500 g sweet potatoes (roughly one large one) chopped into large chunks (see Note 1)
- 3 red/yellow/orange peppers cut into large chunks
- 2 red onions cut into thick wedges
- 8 cloves garlic bashed with skins still on
- 3 sprigs thyme (and/or rosemary)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F.
- Place all the ingredients in a large oven tray or roasting tin.
- Use your hands (or two large spoons) to turn everything in the oil, so it is well coated. Rearrange everything on the tray with the vegetables in one layer and the sausages on top (see Note 2).
- Place the tray in the oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes remove the tray from the oven, remove the sausages onto a plate and turn the vegetables. Replace the sausages on top with the least cooked side facing upwards (see Note 3).
- Return the traybake to the oven for a further 20 minutes, or until everything is done to your liking (45 minutes total cooking time).
- Serve just as it is, or with a simple side salad.
- I prefer to leave the skins on as there is a lot of goodness in the skins (and let’s face it, peeling sweet potatoes is a pain!), but feel free to peel the sweet potatoes if that’s what you prefer.
- It’s really important the ingredients are well spread out in the tray. If you don’t own a large baking tray, use two smaller ones.
- You can omit this step if you are really pressed for time, but everything cooks more evenly if you take the time to turn everything midway through cooking.
- To reheat, place leftovers in an ovenproof dish, in an oven preheated to 180C (160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F). Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the sausages are piping hot all the way through.
- Not suitable for freezing (except the cooked sausages on their own ARE suitable for freezing).
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Easy Sausage and Sweet Potato Traybake for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!