This Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake is incredibly simple to make, using just a few super tasty ingredients, and is ready to eat in less than an hour. Perfect as an alternative to a Sunday roast or as a midweek treat!
Why I love traybakes…
It is no secret that I am a huge fan of traybakes. (I have been called ‘The Traybake Queen’ on more than one occasion!) I love them because they are the perfect combination of quick, easy and utterly delicious – my favourite kind of food! Just throw a few simple ingredients into a tray, pop it in the oven and let the oven do the hard work… magically taking those simple ingredients and roasting them to umami perfection! There’s just something about roasting that makes almost any ingredient taste better – a little more concentrated, a touch sweeter, a few charred and caramelized edges… and then there’s that wonderful intermingling of flavours…
Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake
This recipe for Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake takes 3 simple ingredients that really suit the traybake treatment and puts them together into one glorious tray of deliciousness. And it could not be easier to make…
Simply place chunks of sweet potato onto a large baking tray and add chicken thighs (and/or legs), olive oil, a handful of herbs and plenty of salt and pepper. Toss everything in the oil, then roast in the oven. After 25 minutes, add sliced chorizo, garlic and whole cherry tomatoes, and roast for a further 20 minutes. Easy peasy!
Make sure you use a large tray!
When you make this chicken and chorizo traybake, try and use the biggest tray you can find to ensure all the ingredients have enough room to roast. If you use a tray that’s too small, the ingredients will steam, rather than roast, and the result will not be nearly so nice! (If you don’t have 1 big tray, use 2 smaller trays, instead.)
Perfect as an alternative to Sunday roast!
This meal makes an absolutely brilliant alternative to a Sunday roast – especially in the summer. Somehow I find when the weather is good, a regular roast with all the trimmings is a bit much, but this meal feels much lighter and more summery. It almost feels like barbecue food – only without all the hassle of actually getting the barbecue out!
What to serve with chicken and chorizo traybake?
If you want a really easy peasy midweek meal, this traybake works fine just as it is, with no side dishes at all. But if you want to make it a bit more of a treat, serve with either a simple green salad or some steamed green veg. If you want to make this go further, or are feeling the need for some extra carbs, a nice crusty baguette would also go well – especially for mopping up all those delicious juices!
What to drink with chicken and chorizo traybake?
To go with this dish, I would choose a young and juicy Rioja (look out for the word Joven on the label – this means it’s had little or no oak aging and is therefore juicy and fruity – perfect for this dish) or, alternatively, a chilled Rioja Rosado – an especially good choice if you are eating this on a hot summer’s day.
What to do with leftover chicken and chorizo traybake?
Place any leftover traybake in an airtight container in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 3 days. Either eat cold, or reheat by tipping the chicken, chorizo, sweet potato etc. out onto a tray, and putting the tray in an oven set to 180C (160C fan / gas mark 4 / 350F) for 15 minutes, or until everything is piping hot all the way through.
Alternatively, reheat in the microwave, until piping hot all the way through.
Can you freeze chicken and chorizo traybake?
I don’t recommend freezing the vegetables, but the chicken and chorizo will freeze well. Place the chicken and chorizo in an airtight container in the freezer, where they will keep for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat as above.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Chorizo, Chicken and Sweet Potato Traybake
- 600 g sweet potato skin left on and chopped into 2cm / 1inch chunks
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (or legs or a mixture)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Handful rosemary (or thyme, or a mixture)
- 150 g chorizo sliced into rounds the thickness of a £1 coin
- 150 g cherry tomatoes left whole
- 3 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- Green salad or steamed green veg to serve (optional)
- Crusty baguette (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks (roughly 30g / 1oz per chunk) and place on a large baking tray. Add the chicken thighs and/or legs to the tray along with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a handful of thyme and/or rosemary and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, toss everything in the oil, so it is evenly coated, then spread all the ingredients out so they are in one layer and the chicken is skin-side up.
- Roast in your preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the chicken from the tray and add in the sliced chorizo, garlic and whole cherry tomatoes.
- Using a large spoon, toss everything together to coat in the oil/juices and then spread everything out again into one even layer. Place the chicken back on top, skin side up.
- Roast in the oven for a further 20 minutes. (keep an eye on the chorizo to make sure it doesn’t burn)
- Serve the traybake on its own, or with a green salad or steamed green veg, and with some crusty French bread to mop up the juices.
- Not suitable for freezing (except the chicken and chorizo on its own IS suitable for freezing).
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!