This Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake is incredibly simple to make, using just a few super tasty ingredients, and is ready to eat in less than an hour. Perfect as an alternative to a Sunday roast or as a midweek treat.
I think it’s high time for another traybake, don’t you? I haven’t posted a recipe for a traybake since…oooh (checks) April 5th!! Gosh, that’s a ridiculously long time to be without a traybake – I will lose my ‘Traybake Queen’ mantle if I am not careful 😉 (My thanks to Mandy from Sneaky Veg for ‘officially’ crowning me Queen of the Traybake, back in April!)
I have had the idea for this particular traybake in my head for ages – I just sort of had an inkling that chicken, chorizo and sweet potato would work together brilliantly in traybake form and I am pleased to report back to you that they do – a little too well, if truth be told…I had to seriously restrain myself from having thirds!
It took me a few goes to get this right, but I am so pleased with my final version: definitely do not be tempted (as I did the first time round) to put the chorizo in at the beginning – or you will end up with some extremely cremated chorizo. And do try and use the biggest tray you can find to ensure all the ingredients have enough room to roast. If not they will steam and the result will not be nearly so nice!
This meal would make an absolutely brilliant alternative to a Sunday roast – especially in the summer. Somehow I find when the weather is good, a regular roast with all the trimmings is a bit much, but this meal feels much lighter and more summery. It almost feels like barbecue food – only without all the hassle of actually getting the barbecue out!
If you want a really easy peasy midweek meal, this traybake works fine just as it is, with no side dishes at all. But if you want to make it a bit more of a treat, serve with either a simple green salad or some steamed green veg. If you want to make this go further, or are feeling the need for some extra carbs, a nice crusty baguette would also go well – especially for mopping up all those delicious juices!
To go with this dish, I would choose a young and juicy Rioja (look out for the word Joven on the label – this means it’s had little or no oak aging and is therefore juicy and fruity – perfect for this dish) or, alternatively, a chilled Rioja Rosado – an especially good choice if you are eating this on a hot summer’s day.
- 800g sweet potato, skin left on and chopped into chunks
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (or legs or a mixture)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Handful rosemary (or thyme or a mixture)
- 150g chorizo, sliced into rounds the thickness of a £1 coin
- 150g cherry tomatoes, left whole
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- Green salad or steamed green veg to serve (optional)
- Crusty baguette (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks (roughly 30g per chunk) and place in a large baking tray. Add the chicken thighs and/or legs to the tray along with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, a handful of thyme and/or rosemary and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, toss everything in the oil, so it is evenly coated, then spread all the ingredients out so they are in one layer and the chicken is skin-side up.
- Roast in your preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the chicken from the tray and add in the sliced chorizo, garlic and whole cherry tomatoes.
- Using a large spoon, toss everything together to coat in the oil/juices and then spread everything out again into one even layer. Place the chicken back on top, skin side up.
- Roast in the oven for a further 20 minutes. (keep an eye on the chorizo to make sure it doesn’t burn)
- Serve the traybake on its own or with a green salad or steamed green veg and some crusty French bread to mop up the juices.
Love chicken? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Chicken Recipes…
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!