Traybakes make midweek meals a breeze! This Spanish Style Chicken Traybake combines crispy chicken, chorizo, roast peppers, new potatoes, garlic and paprika for maximum mouthwatering Spanish deliciousness with a minimum of fuss – just 15 minutes hands on time and the oven takes care of the rest!
Anyone who knows me will know I LOVE TRAYBAKES!! I love throwing a load of delicious flavours into a roasting tin, then popping it into the oven and allowing the flavours to combine and intensify and for everything to get lovely and crispy and slightly charred, while I sit and read a book or drink a glass of wine or play with my children (at least in theory…). It’s lovely not having to be at the stove stirring things for a change, and it means minimal washing up too, which is a massive bonus!
I had been thinking about flavours that would work well in a traybake and I suddenly hit upon the idea that it would work really well with Spanish flavours – chorizo, roast peppers, garlic, paprika, all flavouring some lovely chicken thighs. I began scribbling down all the flavours I thought would work together and then tested it – and it worked beautifully! This Spanish Style Chicken Traybake was a massive hit with the whole family – they literally could not get enough and are now demanding a repeat.
I’m sure I’m not the only one to hit upon the idea of a Spanish Style Chicken Traybake, (in fact, I’ve just googled it, I’m definitely not) but this one does taste pretty awesome, even if I say so myself, and it passed my little taste testers very stringent criteria so it must be good!
Because I was making this for young children, I didn’t use any chilli, but if you wanted to add some more heat to this dish, you could sprinkle over some dried chilli flakes before roasting – about half a teaspoon for a medium heat or 1 teaspoon (or more!) to make it hot!
You really need to use a large roasting dish for this Spanish Style Chicken Traybake recipe so that all the vegetables can sit in a single layer and there is a little bit of room between the chicken pieces. If you haven’t got a large roasting dish, use two smaller ones instead or your veg will steam rather than roast!
If you like this…
…you might like:
- Easy One Pot Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- Mexican Chicken Traybake
- Spanish Style Red Wine, Borlotti Bean and Lamb Shank Casserole
- Spanish Style Macaroni Cheese with Chorizo and Manchego
- Easy Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew
Easy Spanish Chicken Traybake
- 8 chicken thighs (or a mixture of thighs and legs)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- 100 g chorizo cut into 1 cm chunks
- 1 red pepper cut into large chunks – roughly 2cm by 2cm
- 1 red onion sliced into 8 wedges
- 400 g new potatoes halved
- 8 garlic cloves lightly bashed with the skins still on
- ½ to 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (optional)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Put the chicken thighs on a plate and sprinkle over 1 teaspoon of paprika and 1 teaspoon of oregano, add some salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil and rub the marinade all over the chicken.
- Put the chorizo, red pepper, red onion, new potatoes and garlic into a large roasting tray and sprinkle over the other teaspoon of paprika and oregano, a couple of twists of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil (about 2 tablespoons), plus the chilli flakes, if you are using them.
- Stir everything together so the chorizo and vegetables are covered in the oil, herbs and spices (use your hands or a large spoon).
- Place the chicken on top of the chorizo and vegetables and pop the whole thing in the oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the tray from the oven, carefully take the chicken pieces off the top and put them on a large plate. Stir the chorizo and vegetables so everything is coated in the delicious juices then pop the chicken back on top.
- Tip the tray slightly to reveal the juices and, using a tablespoon, baste each piece of chicken with one tablespoon of juices (you don’t HAVE to do this step, if you haven’t got time, but the chicken will taste A LOT better if you do!)
- Scatter over the tomatoes and then put the dish back in the oven and roast for a further 20 minutes.
- Serve on its own or with a green salad, some crusty bread and a glass of Spanish Garnacha.
Pin Spanish Style Chicken Traybake for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!