Quick, easy and packed with delicious Spanish flavours, this Easy Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew is going to be your new favourite midweek meal! Plus it’s a fab ‘fill the freezer’ recipe (and once you’ve tasted it, you’re definitely going to want to batch cook this – in BIG batches!)
A family favourite
I am often asked what my favourite recipe is… now I find that question impossible to answer… it’s like asking me which is my favourite child! But this recipe is definitely top 10. It’s a real Gargano family favourite.
With my ridiculous back catalogue of 450+ recipes, not to mention all the recipe testing I do for future recipes, it’s rare we have the same recipe more than once a month… but this delicious Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew happens much more often than that… it’s THAT good.
Quick and easy to make
Not only does this Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew taste AMAZING… it’s also super quick and easy to make. I always love it when I look at my meal plan and see that this is on the menu… Mentally I’m like ‘YES! Super easy one tonight!’
All you need to do is fry off the onions and peppers with the chorizo, add some chilli, garlic and paprika, tip in a tin of tomatoes and a tin of chickpeas, add the diced chicken and simmer. It’s that simple!
What to serve with Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew?
I like to serve this easy Spanish inspired chicken and chorizo stew with brown rice. You can absolutely serve it with white rice, but to me brown rice just goes better. Either way is good, though! You could also serve it with mashed potatoes, pasta or a big hunk of crusty white bread, if that’s more your thing.
Veg-wise, for me it’s got to be greens… I’ve tried out a few options, but there’s something about that dark green, flavour-packed, loose headed cabbage that just goes so well with the piquant tomato sauce and especially the chorizo… but other good options would be: any kind of cabbage, green beans, kale, cavalo nero, broccoli, peas… anything green basically!
What to drink with Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew?
With all the Spanish flavours in this stew, a Spanish wine is an obvious choice and this stew works very well with Rioja and other similar Spanish reds. However, it’s also great with Syrah/Grenache blends from the South of France, such as Cotes du Rhone. And an Argentinian Malbec works well too.
Make it your own
I have spent a lot of time tinkering with this Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew to make it just perfect. So I would definitely recommend you make it ‘as is’, if you possibly can – at least the first time round. But of course it’s wonderfully easy to adapt and make it your own, if you want to (or if you don’t have quite the right ingredients in your kitchen!)
- Use diced bacon instead of chorizo
- Use chicken breast instead of chicken thigh fillets
- Use cannellini beans, butter beans or haricot beans instead of the chickpeas
- Use a brown onion instead of the red onion
- Use a green, orange or yellow pepper instead of the red pepper
- Use leftover cooked chicken, pork or beef instead of the chicken
- Use diced white fish or prawns instead of (or as well as) the chicken
(If you are using leftover meats, fish or prawns, add this 5 minutes before the end of the simmering time to make sure you don’t overcook it.)
Can you reheat Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew?
This Easy Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew makes great leftovers. In fact, reheated Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew is one of my favourite lunches! Simply put any leftovers in a plastic lidded container and place in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply tip into a saucepan and add a splash of water. Bring to the boil then turn down low, clamp a lid on and simmer for 10 minutes until it’s piping hot all the way through. Alternatively reheat in the microwave until piping hot all the way through.
Can you freeze Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew?
Absolutely. This Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew is a brilliant ‘fill the freezer’ recipe. And once you’ve tasted it once, you are going to want to make a big batch of this to fill your freezer! I like to freeze it in one person portions so I can take out as much or as little as I need. (Again, I love this for midweek lunches when I’m on my own!)
Simply place in a plastic lidded container and put it in the freezer, where it will keep for up to 3 months.
Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat as above.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Easy Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 130 g diced chorizo (you should be able to buy it ready-diced, which saves a lot of time!)
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin chickpeas (including the liquid)
- 1 chicken stock cube (I use Kallo Organic)
- 400 g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets diced
- Black pepper to taste (I usually find there’s no need to add salt as the stock cube is salty enough)
- Brown rice, white rice, mashed potatoes, pasta or crusty white bread
- Greens or any green vegetable of your choice, such as cabbage, green beans, kale, cavalo nero, broccoli, peas…
- Place the oil, onion and pepper in a wide and fairly deep saucepan. Fry over a low heat, with the lid on, for 3-5 minutes, until the onions and peppers have softened. Stir occasionally.
- Add the chorizo and cook for 1 more minute with the lid off. Stir occasionally.
- Add the garlic, chilli flakes and smoked paprika. Cook for 1 more minute with the lid off. Stir occasionally.
- Tip in the tomatoes and chickpeas. Then add the diced chicken, stock cube and black pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn down low and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid off, until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with brown rice, greens and a glass of Rioja… or whatever accompaniments you prefer!
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Chicken, Chorizo and Chickpea Stew for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!