This easy one pot Chicken and Chorizo Paella is perfect for busy evenings when you have very little time to cook but still want a great tasting meal!
I really, really love paella. I first had it on holiday in Spain nearly 20 years ago…and the memory of it still lingers – it was one of those great foodie moments of my life. Not surprising really, as it’s one of those all-time great foodie dishes – a collection of beautiful flavours that together make something even better than the sum of its parts.
But the best thing? It’s not actually all that difficult to make – even on a weeknight! It’s basically a ‘throw it all in the pot and let it do its thing’ kind of a meal.
Now, I’m not claiming this is the most authentic recipe…but I am claiming it’s one of the easiest you’ll find. To make this paella the best it could be without being tricky or time-consuming, I scoured the internet looking at loads of different paellas – trying to pare this fab dish back to the absolute essentials, without compromising on the fantastic flavours.
And I’m really pleased with my final version. It’s got all the flavours you’d expect in a traditional Chicken and Chorizo Paella, but none of the faff. In fact, my version can be made in just over 30 minutes, with mainly standard ingredients you’d find in a normal kitchen, making it doable even on busy weeknight…and there’s only one pan to wash up – result!
You may notice I’ve not included prawns in my version. While I love prawns, I’m not a huge fan of the combination of seafood and meat – I’m sorry I just don’t get the whole surf and turf thing! I also find adding in prawns as well makes this a wee bit pricy for a midweek meal. But if you love prawns in your paella, then it’s the simplest thing in the world to add them in to my recipe. Just buy some fresh, ready cooked prawns and throw them in at the same time as the peas, and make sure they are piping hot before you serve up.
Alternatively, if you are like me and prefer EITHER prawns OR meat in your paella, you might like to try my Easy Peasy Prawn Paella. And if you are veggie – my next challenge is to create an easy and delicious vegetarian paella – watch this space!
If you love one pot rice dishes then you might also like my Harissa Chicken and Butternut Squash Pilaf – one of the most popular dishes on my blog!
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Easy One Pot Chicken and Chorizo Paella
- 1.2 litres hot chicken stock (I used 2 Kallo organic chicken stock cubes)
- Pinch saffron
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 100 g chorizo sliced or diced
- 400 g chicken thigh fillets no bone or skin, cut into 2cm chunks
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- ½ to 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- 300 g paella rice
- Salt and pepper
- 100 g frozen peas
- 2 lemons cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley plus extra for garnish
- Add the saffron to the hot chicken stock, stir thoroughly and and set aside.
- Place the olive oil in a large, wide pan and add the onion, cover with a lid and cook over a gentle heat for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and add the chorizo and chicken, fry over a medium-high heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn down the heat and add the garlic, chilli and paprika. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the red pepper, tomatoes, paella rice and chicken stock, plus some salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 15 minutes, with the lid off.
- Add the frozen peas and cook for a further 5 minutes. By this time all the stock should have all been absorbed.
- Finally stir in the juice from 2 of the lemon quarters and the chopped parsley. Serve scattered with more parsley and with the remaining lemon quarters.
Love chicken? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Chicken Recipes…
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Easy One Pot Chicken and Chorizo Paella for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!