A quick and easy family friendly meal, this Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo Pasta takes just 30 minutes to make and is packed full of flavour…perfect for busy weeknight evenings.
A few weeks ago, I updated the photos of my Easy Tomato Pasta and re-shared the recipe on social media and with all of you lovely Easy PeasyFoodie subscribers …and, what can I say, it went a bit crazy! It’s funny because I wasn’t expecting it at all. I thought it was ‘too easy’, too ‘done’ already…but I was wrong, very wrong. It was a timely reminder to me that what you guys really love is super easy, super quick, crowd-pleaser recipes (and who wouldn’t?), recipes your family love and recipes that can be on the table in under 30 minutes!
So, this week I thought I’d give you guys more of the same and share another of my favourite quick and easy pasta recipes. This one is really just a riff on Easy Tomato Pasta (and if you check out that recipe you’ll see I give lots of ideas for how to adapt it to suit your tastes and what you have in the cupboard), but the addition of peppers and chorizo really take this recipe up a notch flavour-wise, with hardly any extra effort!
This Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo version came about because I often have half a chorizo lurking in my fridge from some other recipe I made earlier in the week (probably because I made my Easy One Pot Chicken and Chorizo Paella or my Chicken, Chorizo and Sweet Potato Traybake) and I often have a spare pepper or two too.
I’ll often plan in my Easy Tomato Pasta for a midweek dinner on a night I know I am going to be busy or on a Sunday evening and when I come to make it, I’ll check to see if I have anything in the fridge to use up at the same time (and I always get pretty excited if I discover there’s a bit of chorizo…it’s just the best!).
And gradually it just become a thing, to the point where my Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo Pasta is now a recipe in its own right, for which I will now actually buy chorizo purposefully for. (I’m going to have to think of another recipe to use up leftover chorizo now, aren’t I?)
This Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo Pasta is really very flexible – use as much chorizo as you have available and as many peppers as you can spare. If you don’t have any peppers, try mushrooms, courgette, aubergine, peas or sweetcorn. And if you don’t have any chorizo, you could easily substitute with bacon, ham or even leftover roast chicken.
If you have any leftovers, or if you decide to make extra, this Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo Pasta can easily be turned in a pasta bake the next day. Simply place in an oven dish and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, then put in a preheated oven at 200C / 180C / gas mark 6 / 400F for 20 minutes, or until brown and bubbling.
Wine-wise, this would go great with a Spanish Garnacha or Tempranillo or an Italian Sangiovese. If you prefer white, it also goes well with a vibrant, fruity Sauvignon Blanc from somewhere like New Zealand or South Africa.
Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- 100 g chorizo diced
- 2 bell peppers (1 red, 1 yellow) sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes (add more if you like things hot!)
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300 g pasta
- Grated cheddar or parmesan to serve
- Basil and more oregano to serve optional
- Place the olive oil and onion in a medium saucepan or frying pan. Put on a low heat and fry the onion, with the lid on, for about 3 minutes, until the onion is softened but not brown. Stir occasionally.
- Add the chorizo and bell peppers and cook for a further 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and chilli and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt and pepper. Turn the heat up and bring to the boil, then turn the heat down again and cook for 10 minutes on low, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook the pasta according to packet instructions / your own preferences.
- Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce with a couple of tablespoons of pasta cooking water. Serve sprinkled with the cheese, extra oregano and basil.
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo Pasta for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!