Fabulous crispy skinned roast chicken thighs and legs coated in a delicious Mexican style marinade together with roasted sweet potatoes, peppers and onions, this Mexican Chicken Traybake is so unbelievably simple to make but utterly delicious. Prepared in just 10 minutes and left to do its thing in the oven this easy one pan chicken recipe is ideal for busy evenings!
Some of the most popular recipes on my site are my chicken traybakes – and it’s easy to see why – they are quick and easy to prepare, virtually fool proof (most people can manage to chuck a few bits in a tray and put it in the oven!), utterly delicious (mmm roast chicken), budget friendly AND child friendly (no mean feat!) and of course they result in very little washing up!
Some good examples would be my Sticky Harissa Chicken Traybake, my Spanish Style Chicken Traybake and my Chicken Tikka Masala Traybake. And if you want to see the full range, head over to my traybakes section, where you will also find vegetarian traybakes, lamb traybakes, sausage traybakes and more!
However, despite being a huge Mexican food fan, I realised I had never blogged a Mexican Chicken Traybake – quite an oversight! Especially when you consider how well Mexican flavours work with roast chicken. One I felt needed to be rectified quicksmart and would almost certainly involve in lots of taste testing to get it ‘just right’ 😉
To create the delicious Mexican style marinade for the chicken, I adapted the marinade from my hugely popular Mexican Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes recipe. I then included sweet potatoes in the recipe (they work so well in chicken traybakes and with Mexican flavours), along with red onions and red and yellow peppers – all ingredients which taste so good roasted!
The result tastes rather like a chicken fajita but in a really quick and easy format – and by including nutrient rich sweet potatoes rather than (often highly processed) tortillas, even healthier!
Personally, I feel this dish is ‘complete’ in itself, but if you are feeling extra hungry then you might like to add rice or tortillas. This Mexican Chicken Traybake is also delicious eaten cold the next day – perfect for taking to work and making your colleagues all envious 😉
One important note about the sweet potatoes – because they are cooked in with the chicken they don’t go crispy like they do when cooked on their own. Personally I don’t see this as a bad thing, as they are instead flavoured with the delicious flavours of the chicken juices instead, but if the crispiness is more important for you, I suggest you cook the sweet potatoes in a separate tray (and for less time as they will cook more quickly separated from the chicken) and serve separately as well to maintain their crispiness. Check out my Mexican Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes recipe for more details on timings etc.
Wine-wise, I think this dish goes brilliantly with a fresh zingy white, such as a Sauvignon Blanc. If you prefer red, try a Grenache/Garnacha or a soft fruity Merlot.
Mexican Chicken Traybake
Mexican Chicken Marinade
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 2 limes (plus extra limes for serving - optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Mexican Chicken Traybake
- 1 kg chicken thighs and / or legs (skin on, bone in)
- 1 large sweet potato (roughly 750g/1.5lb)
- 1 red (bell) pepper cut into large chunks
- 1 yellow (bell) pepper cut into large chunks
- 1 red onion cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro) roughly chopped
- Guacamole / sour cream / salsa to serve (optional)
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add the chicken thighs and/or legs and turn to coat in the marinade. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes or up to 2 hours (longer if you have the time – see note).
- Meanwhile preheat the oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F and prepare the vegetables.
- Place all the prepared vegetables (sweet potatoes, peppers, red onion) in a large roasting tray. Add the marinated chicken and any extra marinade from the bowl and mix everything together thoroughly to ensure all the ingredients are coated in the marinade.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes. (If you have the time, give everything a good stir and baste the chicken with the juices after the first 25 minutes and then continue to roast for the remaining 20 minutes.)
- Serve sprinkled with fresh coriander (cilantro) and with all your Mexican favourites such as guacamole, sour cream, salsa, extra limes etc.
Want more delicious chicken recipes? Find more here…
Love Mexican flavours? Find more Mexican Inspired Recipes here…
Pin Mexican Chicken Traybake for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!