Quick, easy and utterly delicious, this Homemade Chunky Guacamole recipe is set to knock your socks off!! Perfect for pairing with all your Mexican favourites, it’s a real crowd-pleaser and can be made in well under 10 minutes. It’s also vegetarian, vegan, dairy free and gluten free.
What’s your favourite dip? For me it’s a tough choice between hummus, salsa fresca and guacamole, but if you absolutely forced me to choose (what kind of meanie are you?), I think guacamole just pips it.
I actually already have a fab easy peasy guacamole recipe on my site – it’s a super simple, chuck it all in the blender and whizz type guacamole, which is AWESOME and especially brilliant if you have no time or if you are making a massive batch of guacamole.
Buuut, if I am honest, I much prefer chunky guacamole – I like the texture better and I like to taste the individual elements – I like to taste the onions, the tomatoes, the avocados, the coriander…and I like that each mouthful is just slightly different.
I will admit it; my chunky guacamole does take a teensy weensy bit more time than my fab quick and easy blender guacamole. But I promise you it is worth it for the superior flavour and texture.
And besides this homemade chunky guacamole recipe is still a quick recipe! You can easily make it in under 10 minutes – 5 if you get a wiggle on.
One little tip when making this guacamole: make sure you soak the onions in the lime juice before adding the rest of the ingredients. It makes such a difference. The onions lose their harsh edge and become sweet and delicious, and the flavour of the onions seeps into the lime juice and so flavours the whole guacamole in a delicious but subtle way…if you’ve not tried this technique with raw onions before, I really recommend you try it – it’s a game changer!
Personally, I prefer not to put chilies in my guacamole – just a personal preference. I like the freshness, the subtle flavour of the avocados and the limy zing and prefer to use my unchillified guacamole as a lovely contrasting partner to hot spicy food. Kind of like a palate cleanser.
But I know lots of people love chilli in their guacamole, so I’ve included it as an optional ingredient…feel free to make it as hot as you like, or leave it out entirely as I do.
This Homemade Chunky Guacamole is a great partner to all sorts of Mexican and Tex Mex favourites, but I would really recommend it with my Easy Chicken Mole, Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos, Pork Chilli Con Carne or Easy Homemade Chicken Fajitas.
Homemade Chunky Guacamole (Vegan)
- ½ red onion diced finely
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic crushed or grated
- ½ - 1 chilli seeds removed and diced very finely (optional)
- 2 avocados skins and stones removed
- 6 cherry tomatoes diced
- 10 g coriander (cilantro) chopped finely
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the diced red onion and lime juice in a bowl and stir. Leave for 1 minute (this will take the harsh edge of the onions).
- Add the garlic (and chilli, if using) and stir again.
- Add the avocados to the bowl and mash roughly using a fork.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, most of the coriander (cilantro), plus some salt and pepper and stir everything together, taking care not to stir too much or your guacamole will lose its chunkiness.
- Taste the guacamole and if necessary add extra lime juice/salt/pepper/chilli to your liking.
- Serve topped with the remaining coriander (cilantro).
Love Mexican Food? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Mexican Inspired Recipes
Pin Homemade Chunky Guacamole for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!