With unbelievable flavours and a melt in your mouth texture, these Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos are set to be your new family favourite!
I am so excited to share my latest recipe with you, because it is just so insanely delicious…one of those meals I just can’t get enough of…and it’s super simple to make too!
The only downside of this meal is that it does take a while…5 ½ hours to be precise…but it is soooo worth the wait…and it’s only actually 15 minutes prep time…the rest of the time is in your oven and resting time. And, of course, the upside is you get to smell those gorgeous spicy Mexican flavours wafting though your house all day – it will be enough to drive you demented…but in a good way!
And maybe don’t make the mistake of cooking this on the hottest day of the year – as I did when I took these photos! Or if you do, go out and don’t come back until it’s cooled down a bit…honestly the things I do for this blog! (No I didn’t have the liberty of going out as I had a million and one things to do that day and needed to take photos at various points too!)
Still, it was more than worth it when I finally got to eat this (and being the hottest day of the year the food wasn’t stone cold when I came to eat it, as it usually is after I’ve finished taking the photos!)
This gorgeous slow cooked pork is perfect for serving in tacos, with salsa, guacamole and all your favourite bits…I served them with my Mexican Roasted Sweet Potato Cubes, my Salsa Fresca (recipe coming soon) and my Mexican Spiced Cauliflower Rice.
Alternatively this Mexican Pulled Pork would be great served in burger buns with some coleslaw (check out my delicious Easy No Mayo Coleslaw, if you are not usually a fan of coleslaw, I think it might convert you!)
I would personally choose a white to have with this meal – a bright and citrussy Sauvignon Blanc would be perfect, but if you prefer red, something juicy and medium bodied like a Chilean Merlot would work well too – alternatively, if you are feeling adventurous, why not try a Mexican wine?
- 1.5-2kg Pork Shoulder (boned, string taken off)
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons paprika (preferably smoked)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 4 garlic cloves, grated or crushed
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 10 twists black pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Mini (taco sized) tortillas (or normal big ones, if you prefer)
- All your favourite extra bits (I like serving mine with roasted sweet potatoes, salsa and salad or sometimes rice)
- Preheat your oven to 140C / 120C fan / gas mark 1.
- Mix the marinade ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pat dry the pork and place on a board or large sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Slather the marinade all over the pork (ideally marinate for 2 hours or longer, but it works fine if you don’t).
- Put the pork on a rack in a roasting tray and pour 500ml water into the bottom of the roasting tray. Cover completely with foil (you may need 2 sheets).
- Put the pork in your preheated oven for 4h 20m (check occasionally to make sure there is still plenty of liquid in the bottom).
- After 4h 20m, remove foil and turn the oven up to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 6. Cook for 40 mins (check occasionally to make sure there is still plenty of liquid in the bottom – add more if it starts to get dry).
- Leave to rest for 15-30 mins then shred with two forks (this should be easy) and put on a serving plate, drizzle over some (or all) of the pan juices. Put the rest of the pan juices in a jug to serve separately.
- Serve pulled pork and mini taco sized tortillas with all your favourite extra bits.
(2) This recipe will provide enough to feed 8 as part of a mixed meal including tortillas and other accompaniments. Alternatively, if there are fewer of you, it makes great leftovers the next day!
Love pork? Check out my collection of Easy Pork, Ham and Sausage Recipes…
Love Mexican Food? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Mexican Inspired Recipes
Pin Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos for later
Don’t want to miss a thing?