Autumn in a traybake! This simple Sausage, Squash, Apple and Sage Traybake is full of the flavours of the season, yet only takes a few minutes to throw together and into the oven. Perfect for busy midweek evenings!
Isn’t Autumn food just fab? I am so enjoying getting back into stews and roasts and curries and chillies – though to tell you the truth I never quite stopped over the summer. I like salads and light pasta dishes, but they never quite hit the spot for me like a good hearty stew!
And the flavours and produce that are around at the moment are just wonderful: squashes, pumpkins, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, wild mushrooms, sprouts, watercress, parsnips, cranberries, apples, pomegranates – these are some of my favourite flavours. And these are the flavours that have been inspiring my latest batch of planning and recipe development. (If you want a sneak peak of what I have been cooking up lately, check out my Instagram 🙂 )
I wanted to create a simple traybake that just totally encapsulated the flavours of autumn and so have paired wonderful in season apples and squash with sausages, which always make me think of this time of year, and sage which just goes beautifully with these flavours.
The result is deliciously autumnal but very, very easy. Simply throw all the ingredients into a large roasting tray and cook in the oven for 45 minutes, turning the sausages once. What could be simpler?
I would happily have this by itself, but if you want to add in some extra goodness why not serve with a side of steamed kale? Or for that real comfort food factor, serve with a big pile of fluffy mashed potatoes!
To drink, try a hearty southern French red, such as Cotes du Rhone or a buttery oaked Chardonnay from Australia. Alternatively, cider would go well with these flavours.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Sausage, Squash, Apple and Sage Traybake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 good quality pork sausages
- 1 large red onion cut into wedges
- 500 g pumpkin or squash cut into large chunks
- 2 small dessert apples (or 1 large Bramley apple) cut into thick slices
- A handful of sage leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Place all your ingredients in a large roasting tray and turn to coat in the oil.
- Rearrange the ingredients so the vegetables are in one layer with the sausages on top.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, remove the traybake from the oven. Take the sausages off the traybake and stir everything round. Replace the sausages on top, taking care to make sure the less cooked side is facing upwards.
- Return the tray to the oven and roast for a further 20 minutes (45 minutes in the oven in total).
- Serve the traybake on its own, or with green vegetables and / or mashed potato.
- To make this veggie, use Quorn sausages instead of meat ones.
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Sausage, Squash, Apple and Sage Traybake for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!