This easy version of Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken can be on your table in well under an hour. Serve with my coconut lime rice and corn on the cob for a feast that looks fancy, but is actually really easy peasy – promise I won’t tell!
You guys know how much I love a fakeaway! I love recreating my restaurant and takeaway favourites, giving them my very own easy peasy spin and usually making them healthier in the process too.
I’ve been wanting to do my own version of Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken for a while now, but I’ve only just got round to it…and boy am I glad I did!
Not only does this Nando’s copycat taste pretty awesome, but doesn’t it look a showstopper too? And I’ll let you into a little secret…it’s actually really easy to make!
Just throw together some simple spices, smother them over the chicken, pop the chicken in the oven to do its stuff, cook up some rice, pop the corn into the same tray the chicken is in for the last 10 minutes and BAM you are done!
It can easily all be done in under an hour and makes a perfect Saturday night feast…in fact this is so easy you could even do it midweek!
And of course this Peri Peri Chicken comes in way cheaper than eating out in a restaurant and I promise you, your tastebuds will not be disappointed!!
I found 2 teaspoons of chilli flakes in my marinade was just perfect to give a mild to medium tingle of heat, while still keeping it family friendly. But do feel free adjust the level of chilli according to your liking.
Depending on how much time you have you can either give the chicken a quick 5 minutes in the marinade while the oven heats up, an hour in the fridge or, if you have the time, you can even marinade the chicken overnight in the fridge. It tastes great with just a quick few minutes marinating time, but even better if you have longer!!
I have served this delicious Peri Peri Chicken with my Coconut Lime Rice, which is super simple to make and goes so well with the spicy marinade, and also some little corn on the cobs, which the kids loved and which are also super simple to cook as you can just chuck them in the same tray as your chicken for the last 10 minutes, where they gets coated in all that gorgeous peri peri chicken flavour.
If you don’t fancy the idea of getting your hands messy (or the idea of serving a marinade coated corn on the cob to your kids fills you with dread and horror), simply slice the corn off the cob after it has cooked and stir it into the rice.
Since this recipe is gluten free and dairy free and corn on the cob is in season right now, this recipe is perfect for joining in with the latest challenge from the #FreeFromGang which is called #FreeFromHarvest. If you want to see more #FreeFromHarvest recipes, see below or follow the #FreeFromHarvest and #FreeFromGang hashtags on social media!
Peri Peri Chicken (Nando’s Copycat)
This easy version of Nando’s Peri Peri Chicken can be on your table in well under an hour. Serve with my coconut lime rice and corn on the cob for a feast that looks fancy, but is actually really easy peasy – promise I won’t tell! (Serves 4-6, depending on appetite.)
Peri Peri Chicken & Corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 4 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
- 8 chicken legs (or thighs or a mixture)
- 4 small corn on the cobs (cobettes)
Coconut Lime Rice
- 300 g basmati or long grain rice
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 200 ml water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 400 g tin black eyed peas (or black beans or kidney beans, drained)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 spring onions sliced
- Sliced spring onions and lime wedges
Peri Peri Chicken & Corn
Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C / gas mark 7 / 425F. (Save this step till later if you plan to marinate your chicken first)
- Mix together all of the Peri Peri Chicken ingredients (apart from the corn on the cobs and the actual chicken!) in a large bowl. Score the skin of the chicken with the point of a sharp knife and place the chicken in the bowl of marinade, turning to coat each piece of chicken with marinade.
- Marinate the chicken for 1 hour in the fridge or up to 24 hours if you have the time. Alternatively just continue with the recipe.
- Place all the chicken pieces on a roasting tray and place the tray in your preheated oven.
- Roast the chicken for 30 minutes, remove the tray from the oven, add the corn on the cobs turning them in the juices, then return the tray to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
Coconut Lime Rice
- While the chicken is cooking, place the rice, coconut milk and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and cook for a further 8 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed almost all the liquid.
- Add the drained black eyed peas, lime juice and spring onions and cook with the lid on for a further 2 minutes or until the black eyed peas have warmed through and the liquid is all absorbed.
- Keep the lid on until needed.
- Arrange the rice on a serving platter, top with the chicken pieces and corn on the cobs. Drizzle over any juices from the chicken pan and then scatter over the spring onions and lime wedges.
Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
The #FreeFromHarvest Challenge
I have made this Peri Peri Chicken as my contribution to the Free From Gang’s #FreeFromHarvest challenge. For more delicious #FreeFromHarvest recipes check out the following blogs, or follow the #FreeFromHarvest and #FreeFromGang hashtags on social media!
Fabulous #FreeFromHarvest Recipes…
Best ever gluten-free & dairy-free apple crumble – Intolerant Gourmand
Beetroot Brownie Cake – Glutarama
Easy Vegetable Korma (Vegan) – Easy Peasy Foodie
The Best Pumpkin Risotto – Intolerant Gourmand
Apple & Blackberry Crumble – Dairy Free Kids
Sensational Sausage Stuffed Marrow – Free From Fairy
Love chicken? Check out my collection of Easy Chicken Dinners…
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Peri Peri Chicken for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?