Simple, healthy and utterly delicious this Easy Vegetable Korma can be on your table in just 30 minutes, making it a perfect midweek meal!
It would be a fair statement to say I love curry…and I am always figuring out ways to make easy versions of my favourites: rogan josh, biryani, tikka masala, jalfrezi, dhal…and of course korma! If you want to see more, do check out my Easy Peasy Curry Collection.
This Easy Vegetable Korma came about because I recently shared my Leftover Lamb Korma and several of my vegetarian and vegan readers commented on how much they liked the sauce, but obviously they would have to adapt it…
In my replies I made a few suggestions for what veggies I might put in a vegetarian version…and these musings, well quite frankly they made me hungry…there was a rather delicious vegan korma recipe in my head and I needed to get it out of my head and onto my plate!!
So I set about putting my ideas into practice and, boy oh boy was it good! This vegetable korma is just awesome…much as I like my lamb and chicken versions, I actually like this vegetable version better! I think probably because there are just so many flavours going on in there…it is like a wonderful explosion of deliciousness in every mouthful!
To create this awesome vegan curry, I have started with a base of onions and red pepper, added my tried and tested easy korma sauce, made using turmeric, garam masala, cumin, chilli, ground almonds and coconut milk, and then added chickpeas and delicious oven roasted cauliflower and aubergine. As an optional extra I have added in a few cardamom pods too, as I think they just work brilliantly with the other flavours going on in this curry – but if that’s one spice too many for you, leave it out – it will still taste delicious!
I like to serve this curry with brown rice, making this a super healthy option (it’s pretty much your 5 a day in one hit!). Alternatively you could serve this with white basmati rice and/or naan breads.
This delicious curry is vegan, veggie, gluten free and dairy free, making it a real crowd pleaser. And…it’s ready in just 30 minutes, making it perfect for those busy, busy evenings – whoop whoop!!
Easy Vegetable Korma (Vegan)
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into chunks
- 2 medium aubergines cut into chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive or melted coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 small red onions sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed or grated
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes or to taste
- 8 cardamom pods bashed (optional)
- 400 g tin chickpeas drained
- 400 ml tin coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander/cilantro chopped finely, plus extra for garnish
- 300 g cooked brown basmati rice to serve (or white basmati, or naan breads)
- Start by preheating your oven to 220C / 200C / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Place the aubergine and cauliflower in a roasting tray and scatter over all the salt and 1 teaspoon of the cumin. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of the oil, toss everything together and then spread out in a single layer. Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and tinged with brown.
- Meanwhile, place the onions, red pepper and the rest of the oil in a pan and fry over a low heat for 5 minutes, with the lid on, until soft but not brown.
- Add the garlic, chilli, remaining cumin, turmeric, garam masala and cardamom pods, and cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring regularly. Add a splash of water if it gets too dry.
- Add the drained chickpeas and coconut milk and bring to the boil. Turn down and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When the aubergines and cauliflower are ready, add them to the curry and stir everything together. Add the ground almonds and fresh coriander (cilantro) and stir again.
- Serve with the rice and/or naans and scattered with a little more fresh coriander.
The #FreeFromHarvest Challenge
This Easy Vegetable Korma is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free making it a great choice to enter into the Free From Gang’s #FreeFromHarvest challenge. For more delicious #FreeFromHarvest recipes check out the following blogs, or follow the #FreeFromHarvest and #FreeFromGang hashtags on social media!
Fabulous #FreeFromHarvest Recipes…
Best ever gluten-free & dairy-free apple crumble – Intolerant Gourmand
Beetroot Brownie Cake – Glutarama
Peri Peri Chicken (Nando’s Copycat) – Easy Peasy Foodie
The Best Pumpkin Risotto – Intolerant Gourmand
Apple & Blackberry Crumble – Dairy Free Kids
Sensational Sausage Stuffed Marrow – Free From Fairy
Need more curry inspiration? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Curry Recipes
Want to find more great vegan meal ideas? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes…
Pin Easy Vegetable Korma for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!