A quick and easy recipe for Homemade Classic Coleslaw, this recipe’s a real crowdpleaser! Perfect for picnics, barbecues, potlucks and buffets… or any time when you need a simple but delicious coleslaw!
A super easy coleslaw recipe!
I think everyone need to have a good recipe for a classic coleslaw and this is mine! It perfectly embodies everything I try to do on Easy Peasy Foodie – that is, cram the most amount of deliciousness in, while keeping the recipe as quick, simple and faff-free as possible.
And this really is one of my easiest recipes: just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes is all it takes!
How to make it
To make this easy homemade classic coleslaw, all you need to do is mix good quality mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper in a bowl. Then add grated carrot, finely sliced cabbage, spring onions and chives… and stir. It’s that easy!
It may be easy to make, but I promise you this simple classic coleslaw more than delivers on flavour 😀
When to serve it
This recipe is a total crowdpleaser – perfect for packed lunches, picnics, barbecues, potlucks and buffets… or any time when you need a simple but delicious coleslaw!
What to serve coleslaw with?
Alternatively, serve this delicious homemade coleslaw as part of a buffet with other salads.
What to do with leftover coleslaw?
This classic coleslaw is delicious whether you eat it straight away or make it ahead of time. In fact, it’s a fabulous ‘make ahead’ recipe! Put any leftovers or ‘made ahead’ coleslaw in a lidded container and place it in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze coleslaw?
No, I don’t recommend freezing coleslaw.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Easy Homemade Classic Coleslaw
- 6 tablespoons good quality mayonnaise (I use Hellmann’s)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (see Note 1)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300 g carrot grated on a coarse grater
- ⅓ sweetheart cabbage AKA pointed cabbage, finely sliced
- 3 spring onions AKA scallions, finely sliced – plus extra for garnish
- 10 g chives finely sliced – plus extra for garnish
- Place the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the grated carrot and stir well.
- Add the finely sliced cabbage and stir again.
- Add the finely sliced spring onions and chives, and stir well to ensure everything is evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle over the remaining spring onions and chives as a garnish and serve.
- You can use white wine vinegar, if you prefer, but apple cider vinegar tastes better in my opinion. The vinegar helps balance the flavour of the coleslaw, cuts through the creaminess and stops it being too rich and cloying, but you can leave it out if you prefer.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Easy Homemade Classic Coleslaw for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!