This Fruity Couscous Salad is wonderful combination of couscous, dried fruit, pistachios and fresh herbs, finished with a simple lemon, turmeric and cinnamon dressing. So quick and easy to make but unbelievably delicious! Perfect for picnics, barbecues, potlucks and buffets.
One of my favourite salads ever!
Hands up who loves a Fruity Couscous Salad? It’s hands down one of my favourite salads ever! Packed with dried fruit, pistachios and fresh herbs and finished with a simple lemon, turmeric and cinnamon dressing… it’s the kind of salad you take to a barbecue or potluck, and everyone is super impressed and wants to know the recipe!
Well here you go…
Super easy to make!
This Fruity Couscous Salad tastes amazing, but it’s actually really easy to make.
All you need to do is rehydrate the couscous, make a simple dressing in a jam jar and prepare the nuts, dried fruit and herbs… then just stir everything together. Easy Peasy!
What to serve with Fruity Couscous Salad?
This Fruity Couscous Salad is delicious served as a side dish to roasted or grilled meat and fish. (It’s especially good served alongside roast chicken!)
It also works really well as part of a buffet spread at a barbecue or a potluck, and it’s a great option to take on a picnic!
What to drink with Fruity Couscous Salad?
As couscous salad is usually a side dish, I recommend you choose a wine that matches your main.
However, if you want to make this Fruity Couscous Salad the star if the show, I recommend serving it with an off dry Chenin Blanc (a demi sec Vouvray would be perfect here!) which compliments the sweet dried fruits and the touch of spice perfectly. (Off dry Chenin Blanc also goes really well with roast chicken or pork!) A viognier or a fruity rosé would also work well here.
If you are serving this Fruity Couscous Salad as part of a buffet with lots of different salads, then a crisp Sauvignon Blanc or a fruity rosé are both good bets, as they are good all-rounders that will happily pair well with lots of different salads.
What to do with leftover Fruity Couscous Salad?
This Fruity Couscous Salad tastes just as great the next day and so is a fabulous ‘make ahead’ option! Place any leftovers (or made ahead couscous salad) in a lidded container in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 3 days. Either serve fridge-cold or allow to come up to room temperature before you eat it.
Can you freeze Fruity Couscous Salad?
No, I don’t recommend freezing this salad.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Fruity Couscous Salad
Fruity Couscous Salad
- 200 g couscous (I use Tesco couscous)
- 250 ml boiling water (see Note 1)
- 50 g semi-dried apricots chopped finely (I use Tesco ready to eat apricots)
- 25 g dried cranberries
- 25 g sultanas
- 50 g pistachio kernels (pistachios without their shells)
- 10 g fresh coriander (AKA cilantro) finely chopped
- 10 g fresh mint finely chopped
Couscous Salad Dressing
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (See Note 2)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (See Note 2)
- ½ teaspoon cumin (See Note 2)
- Salt and black pepper to taste (I use ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper)
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and pour over the boiling water. Cover with a plate and leave for 10 minutes to rehydrate. (See Note 1.)
- Meanwhile, make the simple dressing by placing all the dressing ingredients in a clean jam jar. Screw on the lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- When the couscous has rehydrated, fluff up with a fork and break up any lumps.
- Add the dressing and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped apricots, cranberries, sultanas and pistachio kernels, and stir to combine.
- Add the fresh coriander and mint, and stir again to ensure all the ingredients are well mixed in.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.
- Different brands may need slightly different amounts of boiling water to rehydrate. Adjust according to packet instructions / your own preferences.
- All spices should be the ground/powder form
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Fruity Couscous Salad for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!