A roast dinner classic! This Simple Roast Lamb and Gravy is quick to prepare and quick to cook, but using plenty of rosemary and garlic ensures it’s packed full of flavour! Perfect for your Sunday lunch or Easter celebrations this year.
I love slow roast lamb as much as the next person, but sometimes I just don’t have 4 or 5 hours to spare! This Simple Roast Lamb is a quick and easy recipe for a half leg of lamb (1.5kg / 3.25lb) that takes just over 1 hour 30 minutes from start to finish – and for 1 hour and 10 minutes of that the lamb is in the oven, doing it’s thing, while I do mine…
The bonus of doing fast cooked roast lamb is that the lamb is cooked at a high temperature…ensuring the oven is at the perfect temperature to cook those all important roast potatoes! While the lamb is cooking and resting you can prepare and cook my Easy Peasy Roast Potatoes and Easy Peasy Roast Vegetables.
Add in a green vegetable or two and a jug of gravy and you have yourself a VERY easy and stress free roast dinner. Perfect for Sunday lunch or even your Easter Day celebrations.
This recipe will leave the lamb just a tiny bit pink in the middle. If you prefer your lamb well done, add an extra 5 or 10 minutes to the cooking time.
This recipe makes enough for 4, with enough leftovers to make my Leftover Roast Lamb Shepherd’s Pie. Or if you don’t mind having no leftovers (!) it will serve 6-8, depending on appetite.
My favourite wine match with traditional roast leg of lamb done like this with rosemary and garlic, would be a robust red such as a Rioja or a Rhone. Other options that would work well include a Chianti, Bordeaux or Chilean Merlot. This is one occasion when white wine just doesn’t really work (IMHO!).
Don’t be fazed by the garlic and rosemary part – it really is very easy. Simply use a small sharp knife to cut lots of holes in the lamb and then simply stuff with a small sprig of rosemary and a small slice of garlic. It looks fancy but it’s very easy and takes 5 minutes, tops!
Need ideas for your roast lamb leftovers?
Check out my collection of easy leftover roast lamb recipes >>>
Simple Roast Lamb
- 1.5 kg lamb
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 large sprigs of rosemary chopped into small sprigs
- 3 garlic cloves sliced thinly
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 400 ml boiling water
- Lamb juices
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C / 200C / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Get your lamb out of its packaging and stand on a board. Cut lots of little holes all over the lamb. Drizzle the lamb with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Rub the oil, salt and pepper all over the lamb and then push a small sprig of rosemary and a slither of garlic into each hole.
- Put the lamb in the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- When the lamb is ready, remove it from the oven and put it on a plate or a board (I usually use a clean roasting tin, or sometimes even a pizza tray!)
- Rest for 15 minutes and then carve and serve.
- While the lamb is resting you can make a simple gravy.
- Start by crumbling the stock cube into a jug and adding the plain flour. Mix to a smooth paste using a small amount of cold water and then add 400ml boiling water to the jug, stirring constantly.
- Remove the fat from the tin you roasted the lamb in and put the tin on the hob over a low heat. Pour in the jug of lamb gravy and stir to incorporate the bits on the bottom of the tin.
- Add the juices from the resting lamb and then cook the gravy on a low heat for about 5 minutes. Pour back into the jug and serve with the lamb.
Love Lamb? Check out my collection of Easy & Delicious Lamb Recipes
Pin Quick and Simple Roast Lamb & Gravy for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!