How’s this for a super simple, super tasty, super summery lunch idea? This Italian Inspired Avocado on Toast combines delicious Italian flavours of mozzarella, prosciutto, tomatoes, basil and olive oil and serves them on #avotoast. Hashtag so good!!
So this recipe happened like so many of my recipes, by accident!! (Yeah, I know, this is becoming a bit of a habit – I would like to point out I generally do my online shop late on Monday nights, I am barely awake – hence all those happy accidents). I was supposed to be making one of Madeleine Shaw’s avocado on toast recipes from her fab book Ready Steady Glow, but I forgot to buy feta, so I decided so sub in some mozzarella I happened to have loafing around in the fridge, and then I spotted the prosciutto and a little idea began to form in my head…an Italian stylee Avocado on Toast.
So I abandoned Madeleine’s recipe entirely (sorry Madeleine – I’m sure your recipe is very nice too!) and created my own adding in basil, mixed coloured cherry tomatoes, good quality extra virgin olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper, serving it all on some rather awesome rye sourdough bread from my local bakers…and OH MY GOODNESS it tasted good. I mean it was hardly surprising really given all those scrumptious ingredients, but still…it was good.
And best of all this recipe only takes 5 minutes to make – perfect for a simple summer lunch…or breakfast…or brunch…or even a quick supper – quite frankly I’d eat this any time of the day! And if you want to make this even more fantastic, why not have it with a nice cold glass of Italian white wine – try Soave or Gavi (though maybe not for breakfast!).
- 2 slices good quality bread, such as rye, sourdough, ciabatta or baguette
- 1 avocado, peeled and chopped into bitesize cubes
- Small handful of cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- ½ small ball of mozzarella, chopped into bitesize cubes
- Small handful basil leaves, ripped
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 slice prosciutto
- Toast the bread.
- While the bread is toasting, put the avocado, tomatoes, mozzarella and half the basil in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a good grinding of both salt and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly.
- Divide the avocado/tomato/mozzarella mixture between two slices of toast and top with the prosciutto, more basil leaves, and an little extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with a glass of Italian white wine.
If you are looking for more avo toast inspiration why not check out my Middle East inspired and Mexican/Greek mashup versions in this post: Avocado on toast two ways.
Pin Italian Inspired Avocado on Toast for later