How’s this for a super simple, super tasty brunch or lunch idea? This Italian Style Avocado Toast combines delicious Italian flavours of mozzarella, prosciutto, tomatoes, basil and olive oil and serves them on delicious rye sourdough toast. You just can’t go wrong with this combination of flavours!
So this recipe happened like so many of my recipes, by accident!! (Yeah, I know, this is becoming a bit of a habit – I would like to point out I generally do my online shop late on Monday nights, I am barely awake – hence all those happy accidents). I was supposed to be making one of Madeleine Shaw’s avocado on toast recipes from her fab book Ready Steady Glow, but I forgot to buy feta, so I decided so sub in some mozzarella I happened to have loafing around in the fridge, and then I spotted the prosciutto and a little idea began to form in my head…an Italian Style Avocado Toast – that could only be a good thing, right?
So I abandoned Madeleine’s recipe entirely (sorry Madeleine – I’m sure your recipe is very nice too!) and created my own adding in basil, mixed coloured cherry tomatoes, good quality extra virgin olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper, serving it all on some rather awesome rye sourdough bread from my local bakers…and OH MY GOODNESS it tasted good. I mean it was hardly surprising really given all those scrumptious ingredients, but still…it was seriously good.
And best of all this recipe only takes 5 minutes to make – perfect for a simple summer lunch…or breakfast…or brunch…or even a quick supper – quite frankly I’d eat this any time of the day! And if you want to make this even more fantastic, why not have it with a nice cold glass of Italian white wine – try Soave or Gavi (though maybe not for breakfast!).
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Italian Style Avocado Toast
- 2 slices good quality bread such as rye, sourdough, ciabatta or baguette
- 1/2 avocado peeled and chopped into bitesize cubes
- Small handful of cherry tomatoes cut into quarters
- 1/4 small ball of mozzarella chopped into bitesize cubes (see note 1)
- Small handful basil leaves ripped
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 slice prosciutto
- Toast the bread.
- While the bread is toasting, put the avocado, tomatoes, mozzarella and half the basil in a small bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a good grinding of both salt and pepper and mix everything together thoroughly.
- Divide the avocado/tomato/mozzarella mixture between two slices of toast and top with the prosciutto, more basil leaves, and an little extra drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve with a glass of Italian white wine.
- To reduce the fat content of this recipe, use reduced fat mozzarella
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Italian Style Avocado Toast for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. Or why not subscribe to my blog and get delicious, stress free recipes straight to your inbox every week?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.
This looks lovely and summery. I love accidents!
Eb Gargano says
Thanks Beth! Me too – I think sometimes my accident recipes are my best ones. They force me to be creative! Eb x
Claire Jessiman says
Love this! All of my favourite things. Clearly it was an accident that was meant to happen.
Eb Gargano says
Aw, thanks Claire! Mine too. I just love Italian flavours and they work together so well! I do love a happy accident 🙂 Eb x
Rebecca - Glutarama says
These are my all time favourite types of recipes. The moments of culinary genius in the kitchen whilst bashing something together Swedish Chef style ?
Eb Gargano says
Haha – yes me too. Some of my best recipes have come from ‘happy accidents’ like this. Eb 🙂