Incredibly easy and healthy, this Quick Aubergine and Chickpea Curry is perfect for busy weeknights. Serve with brown rice or buckwheat for a guilt free, hassle free, midweek meal.
You could be forgiven for thinking I’ve gone slightly curry mad recently. In fact in the last few weeks I’ve posted Kale and Red Onion Dhal, Easy Peasy Chicken Curry and Indian Spiced Cauliflower Rice…and I have a few more in the pipeline! But the reason is simple. I just love curry!! For me a good homemade curry is the perfect balance of easy peasyness and foodieness.
So often, curry is incredibly simple to make – a few spices, a tin of tomatoes or coconut milk or both, meat/veg or both and 30 minutes later you have the most incredible tasting meal for so very little effort. Plus if you make a vegetarian curry, using chickpeas or lentils and vegetables, a curry can be a very economical meal too.
And while their ready meal and takeaway curry cousins often get a bad rap for being unhealthy and chock full of calories and additives, homemade curries are usually very healthy – especially if you pack them with spices and veggies and serve them with brown rice or buckwheat.
This easy peasy vegetarian curry certainly ticks all these boxes and more, it’s cheap, tasty and is packed full of nutrients, plus it takes well under 30 minutes to make and is family friendly too – or at least my kids love it! Oh and it’s vegan, gluten free and dairy free to boot – what’s not to like?
Wine wise – for me, a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc would be perfect here. But my husband would definitely have a beer!!
Quick Aubergine and Chickpea Curry
- 200 g brown rice or buckwheat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 aubergine chopped into bitesize chunks
- 3 garlic cloves grated or crushed
- 3 cm ginger grated
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas in water including the water (DON’T DRAIN!)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped
- 100 g spinach optional
- Juice of 1 lime optional
- Start by cooking the brown rice according to packet instructions / your own preferences.
- Put the olive oil and sliced red onions in a large wide pan and cook over a low heat with the lid on for 3 minutes until slightly softened but not brown.
- Add the aubergine, turn up the heat and cook for 5 -7 minutes until the aubergine and onions are golden.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chilli and salt and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the rest of the spices and a splash of water, to stop the pan going dry, and cook for a further 1 minute.
- Add the tin of tomatoes and the tin of chickpeas, including their water, and cook for 10 minutes on a medium high heat.
- After 10 minutes add the coriander, spinach and lime juice. Stir until the spinach has just wilted and serve with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, for a simple, hassle free midweek meal.
Pin Quick Aubergine and Chickpea Curry for later