Delicious, spice-blackened fish pairs beautifully with a refreshing, tropical salsa, this Jerk Salmon with Mango and Avocado Salsa is super quick, easy to make and pretty healthy, but tastes out of this world!
One of the most popular recipes on Easy Peasy Foodie is my One Pot Jerk Chicken, Rice and Beans. It’s a really simple recipe that is super tasty, quick to make and all cooked in one pot – so no wonder it’s popular! But the best part of that recipe, in my opinion, is the jerk marinade!
I just love those spicy, smoky Caribbean flavours and they pair so beautifully with chicken…but I’ve been meaning to do something else with my jerk marinade for ages.
Something else I’ve been meaning to do for ages is share more fish dishes on Easy Peasy Foodie. I do have a few fish and seafood recipes on my site, but not nearly enough! I do actually really love fish and eat it quite often, but I usually cook fish quite simply – just some herbs and lemon perhaps and served with steamed vegetables, so not really a recipe as such.
So, anyway, an idea started to form in my head – jerk marinade with fish…I just knew the jerk marinade would go well with salmon. And so the question was, what to serve with it? I wanted something that would be light and refreshing and compliment the spicy, smoky flavours of the salmon…an idea for a mango and avocado salsa began to form in my head.
It would be chunky, not smooth – sort of with the flavours of guacamole (which I LOVE), but mango too…I was starting to get hungry just thinking about it. I couldn’t get into the kitchen fast enough to try it out. And I was not disappointed!
The salmon, jerk marinade and tropical salsa all work brilliantly together. And, in fact, could be a meal in its own right, especially if you are looking for a low carb option. But I chose to pair this Jerk Salmon with Mango and Avocado Salsa with a mix of white and wild rice (they sell this ready mixed in my local supermarket) which works brilliantly and adds an extra dimension to the recipe.
If you prefer, you could serve this Jerk Salmon recipe with normal white rice, brown rice or tortillas – all would work brilliantly.
The really great thing about this Jerk Salmon with Mango and Avocado Salsa recipe is that it all cooks so quickly and with very little effort: mix together the marinade, add the fish, make the salsa, cook the rice, grill the fish and it’s all done and dusted in well under 30 minutes – perfect for busy days when you still want to eat well.
Although I cooked the fish inside under the grill (broiler). I see no reason why this wouldn’t also taste fab on outside on the BBQ this summer. And the salsa would go brilliantly with all sorts of other BBQ foods too.
For me this is a white wine dish and would go beautifully with a zingy, zesty Sauvignon Blanc or a tropical-tasting, oaked Chardonnay. Alternatively, a spicy, aromatic Gewürztraminer would also work well with this dish.
Jerk Salmon with Mango and Avocado Salsa
- 4 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 thick salmon fillets roughly 140g/5oz each
Mango and Avocado Salsa
- 1 small red onion diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 100 g mango diced
- 1 avocado diced
- 6 cherry tomatoes diced
- 1 red chilli sliced (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro)
To serve (optional)
- Rice or tortillas
- Extra fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Extra limes
- Mix the paprika, allspice, cayenne pepper, pinch of salt, juice of 1 lime and olive oil together in a bowl. Add the salmon and turn in the marinade to coat well. Marinate for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- Just before you start cooking the fish, make the salsa. Mix the diced red onion and lime juice together in a bowl first, then add all the other salsa ingredients and mix again. Set aside to allow the flavours to develop.
- Cook the salmon under a medium-hot grill (broiler) for 9 minutes. Skin side up for the first 3 minutes (to get a crispy skin) then skin side down for the remaining 6 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Alternatively, you could cook the salmon on the BBQ.
- Serve with the salsa and either rice or tortillas, if you wish.
Pin Jerk Salmon with Mango and Avocado Salsa for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!