Quick, easy and suitable for vegetarians, these Easy Vegetable Fajitas are perfect for busy days…and for getting a little bit closer to that all important 5 a day!
I am a huge fan of fajitas, tacos and all kinds of Mexican and Tex-Mex food. One of my favourite recipes on this blog is my Easy Homemade Chicken Fajitas. It was a recipe I developed a couple of years ago – I wanted to create a quick and easy homemade fajita spice mix, that tasted similar to the packet versions, but would be cheaper and not contain any additives.
I was really pleased with the result and have made my Homemade Chicken Fajitas many, many times. I then went on to use my homemade fajita spice blend to create my Easy Lamb Fajitas too. But I’ve been meaning to make a vegetarian version for ages.
These Easy Vegetable Fajitas are packed with delicious vegetables, which go so well with the delicious fajita spice mix. I have chosen to use onions, peppers, mushrooms and baby sweetcorn in my recipe. But you could make these with any mix of vegetables you fancy. For extra protein you could also add some kidney beans or Quorn chicken pieces.
These Easy Vegetable Fajitas are even quicker and simpler to make that the chicken and lamb versions. Simply mix the veggies with the spices and then fry in a large frying pan (I use a wok) over a high heat until the vegetables are softened and slightly charred. Serve with tortillas and all your favourite extras.
These Easy Vegetable Fajitas can easily be made vegan by serving them with vegan tortillas (and obviously vegan versions of sour cream and/or cheese, if using – or just leave these out and simply serve with guacamole and salsa).
And, if you want these Easy Vegetable Fajitas to be gluten free, obviously ensure you serve with gluten free tortillas.
Wine-wise I either go for a Chilean or New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc with these Easy Vegetable Fajitas, which works really well with the zingy zesty lime and fresh coriander flavours, or a French or Spanish Grenache-based rosé or red, which goes well with those smoky, spicy, charred flavours and the sweet peppers and baby corn.
Easy Vegetable Fajitas
- 12 flour or corn tortilla wraps (I use Old El Paso)
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like things hot!)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 cloves garlic grated or crushed
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 peppers sliced into strips ( I like to use a mix of colours)
- 150 g baby sweetcorn left whole
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms sliced thickly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped finely
- Your choice of guacamole / sour cream / salsa / grated cheese / extra limes & coriander / tortilla chips to serve - any or all of them!
- If you are making your own guacamole or salsa, make these first and refrigerate until needed – or ask someone else to make these for you while you get on with the fajitas.
- Preheat your oven to 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F.
- Remove the tortilla wraps from the packet and wrap in foil.
- Mix together the cumin, cayenne pepper, oregano, lime juice and crushed garlic in a large bowl.
- Add all the prepared vegetables to the marinade and turn to coat thoroughly. Marinate for 5-10 minutes.
- When the oven has heated up, put the tortilla wraps in the oven for 10 minutes until warmed through. After 10 minutes remove from the oven but keep wrapped in foil until needed.
While the tortillas are warming through, put 1 tablespoon of olive in a large frying pan or wok and heat over a high heat for 1 minute. Add all the vegetables and stir-fry over a high heat for 5 minutes, or until the veg is softened and slightly charred. (If you don’t have a large frying pan, use two smaller ones or the vegetables won’t cook properly.)
Sprinkle the vegetables with the chopped coriander and serve in the pan at the table, together with the warm tortilla wraps and whatever extras you have chosen for people to make up their own fajitas.
Not suitable for freezing.
Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Easy Vegetable Fajitas for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?