Italy meets Greece in this easy Feta, Caramelised Onion and Courgette Pasta recipe. Soft, sweet caramelised onions and courgettes (zucchini) pair beautifully with sharp, salty feta and the gentle nuttiness of pine nuts – all stirred into pasta to make a delicious, but very easy, midweek meal.
Italy meets Greece!
I love mixing flavours from different countries. And you’ll find lots of country-mashups on Easy Peasy Foodie:
- Morocco meets France in my Chickpea Ratatouille and Couscous
- Britain meets India in my Curried Shepherds Pie with Sweet Potato Mash Topping
- Mexico meets Persia in my Lamb, Feta and Pomegranate Tacos
And in this easy pasta recipe Italy meets Greece…
Actually these two Mediterranean countries have a lot in common. While pasta is most definitely Italian and Feta is Greek, both countries use lemons, pine nuts and courgettes (zucchini) in their cuisines.
And no matter which country they come from the flavours in this easy pasta recipe all work really well together to create a simple but utterly delicious midweek meal.
What to eat with Feta, Caramelised Onion and Courgette Pasta?
This dish really is a meal in its own right, but if you want to make it more substantial you could serve it with some crusty white bread or garlic bread and/or a little side salad of rocket lightly-dressed with olive oil… or even a Greek Salad!
What to drink with Feta, Caramelised Onion and Courgette Pasta?
A citrussy white such as Sauvignon Blanc would go well here, as would a Semillon or Semillon/Sauvignon blend. Or, if you are feeling brave, why not try a Greek Assyrtiko?
If you prefer red, an Italian Valpolicella goes surprisingly well here.
Feta, Caramelised Onion and Courgette Pasta be reheated?
Yes. If you have leftovers, you can go one of two ways here. This pasta tastes great the next day cold as a pasta salad.
However, if you would prefer your leftovers hot, you can turn them into a pasta bake. Just put the fridge cold pasta into an ovenproof dish, sprinkle on some feta (or try mozzarella for a change) and bake for 10-15 minutes at 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F.
Can Feta, Caramelised Onion and Courgette Pasta be frozen?
No, this recipe, like most pasta recipes, is not suitable for freezing.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Feta, Caramelised Onion and Courgette Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 small onions sliced
- 6 garlic cloves sliced
- 4 medium courgettes coarsely grated
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 300 g pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 50 g pine nuts (optional)
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled (optional)
- Put the onion and olive oil in a wide saucepan and sweat the onion, with the lid on for about 5 minutes – until the onion is translucent but not brown. Stir occasionally.
- While the onions are sweating, you can chop the garlic and grate the courgettes.
- After the 5 minutes add the garlic and fry for 1 more minute with the lid off.
- When the onions and garlic are ready, turn up the heat and add the courgettes. Fry for 5-10 minutes with the lid off, stirring frequently, until most of the water has evaporated.
- Turn the heat right down again, add the butter and put the lid back on. Sweat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions and courgettes are lightly golden and caramelised.
- About 15 minutes before the courgettes are ready, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions / your own preferences and drain, reserving a small amount of the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, place the pine nuts in a small frying pan over a low heat and lightly toast them. Stir frequently and watch them carefully to make sure they don't burn!
- When the courgettes are done, add the salt, pepper, lemon zest and juice, pine nuts and a drizzle of cooking liquid to loosen.
- Serve sprinkled with crumbled feta.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Feta, Caramelised Onion and Courgette Pasta for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.