Mexico meets Morocco with these delicious Lamb Tacos with Avocado, Feta and Pomegranate. Ready in just 20 minutes, they are perfect for a quick and easy midweek meal or enjoy them as part of a Mexican fiesta!
I really love Mexican food…those flavour combinations are just EPIC! Cumin, coriander, chillies, guacamole, salsa…I am such a fan. And tacos are one of my favourite ways to enjoy those Mexican flavours…so quick and easy to whip up and so much fun to mix and match flavours and textures…I love to put a whole bunch of different toppings on the table and let everyone choose what they will put in theirs…we all love it, but especially the kids. They love being in charge of what goes on their plates and it definitely encourages them to be more adventurous!
This year I’ve teamed up with the ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ campaign to share my love of lamb and to bring you lots of delicious and easy lamb recipes.
Ever since I becoming a Lambassador for the ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ campaign, I have had the idea of Lamb Tacos bubbling around at the back of my mind…Lamb goes so well with Mexican flavours, such as cumin, paprika, coriander and chilli…but so many of those flavours are present also in Middle Eastern cookery…an idea began to form in my mind…lamb leg steaks coated in a delicious Mexican-inspired marinade then pan-fried…tacos topped with guacamole and then the delicious spicy lamb, finished with feta cheese, pomegranate seeds, a squeeze of lime juice and lots of fresh coriander.
My mouth was watering at the mere thought…I couldn’t wait to get into the kitchen and try it out…I was pretty confident I was on to a winner, and boy was I right…and then some! I so wish I could convey to you just how nice these gorgeous lamb tacos are. They taste incredible – the spices complement the lamb so well, which is then beautifully balanced by the creamy avocado, zingy lime, sharp feta and fruity pops from the pomegranate seeds. I will certainly be making these again…and soon!
And the wonderful thing about these lovely Lamb Tacos is they are so quick and easy. They literally take 15 minutes from start to finish…meaning this delicious treat of a meal can be enjoyed even on a busy weeknight.
Alternatively, if you have more time, these fab tacos could form the basis for a fabulous Mexican fiesta – great for a laid back weekend meal or even a dinner party…add some sweet potato wedges, salsa, sour cream, refried beans, a Mexican inspired salad…or whatever takes your fancy! Put the all the sides and toppings out on the table and let everyone create their own fab Lamb Tacos!
A little tip – if the thought of getting seeds out of a pomegranate scares you slightly, don’t worry, most supermarkets now sell pomegranate seeds in pots…saving you a job and making this recipe even easier!
This recipe calls for soft taco wraps (sometimes called mini tortillas), if you can’t find them use half the quantity of standard tortilla wraps instead. Alternatively you could use the crunchy tacos, if you prefer!
Lamb Tacos with Avocado, Feta and Pomegranate
- 16 soft taco wraps / mini tortillas (or 8 standard tortilla wraps)
- 3 limes
- 2 tablespoons olive or rapeseed oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (or to taste)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 lamb leg steaks roughly 100g/3½oz each
- 2 avocados skins and stones removed
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander chopped finely (plus extra for garnish)
- 100 g feta cheese crumbled
- Seeds from 1 small pomegranate (or 100g pomegranate seeds)
- Preheat your oven on to 180C / 160C fan/ gas mark 4 / 350F.
- Wrap the tacos up in a piece of tin foil to make a sealed parcel.
- In a large bowl, mix together the juice of one of the limes, plus the oil, cumin, paprika, chilli and a little salt and pepper.
- Place the lamb leg steaks in the marinade and turn to evenly coat. (If you have time you can leave the lamb in the marinade for up to 2 hours for extra flavour, but this is optional.)
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan or griddle pan until smoking hot and cook the lamb leg steaks for 1 minute on each side, then turn down the heat to low and cook for a further 2 minutes on each side for medium or 3 minutes on each side for well done.
- Remove the lamb from the pan and lay on a board to rest for 5 minutes.
- Now place the foil wrapped tacos in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Next, make the guacamole. Simply mash the avocado, add the juice of 1 lime, 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander and a pinch of salt and stir to combine.
- Chop the remaining lime up into quarters.
- When the lamb has rested for 5 minutes, cut the lamb up into bitesize pieces.
- EITHER serve all the different components (tacos, lamb, guacamole, feta, pomegranate seeds, extra coriander, lime quarters) separately in bowls on the table for everyone to make up their own tacos.
- OR spread each taco with a little guacamole, then top with lamb, feta, pomegranate seeds and coriander. Squeeze over a little lime juice and enjoy.
This is a collaborative post with the ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ campaign. ‘LAMB. Tasty Easy Fun’ is an EU funded campaign which aims to increase the use of lamb in everyday cooking. Lamb is often considered difficult to cook, expensive, or something to be saved for Sunday roasts. The aim of the campaign is to demonstrate just how tasty, easy and fun lamb is to cook with every day of the week!
This would be a great recipe to use up leftover roast lamb. If you want more inspiration for using up your roast lamb leftovers check out this post…
Want more delicious lamb recipes? Find more here…
Pin Lamb Tacos with Avocado, Feta and Pomegranate for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!