I really, really love Greek salad and have worked over many years to perfect my version of it. And yes, before you all write to me pointing out a Greek salad doesn’t usually have lettuce in it, I know, but this is MY version of a Greek salad and that’s the way I like it! But if you like things a little more authentic, then just leave the lettuce out!
This salad makes a great accompaniment to many of my recipes including: Lemon and Garlic Chicken Traybake, Pork Chops, Moussaka and Spanish Omelette. Or you could eat it on its own, as a light main meal, with some lovely crusty white bread to mop up the delicious lemony dressing.
- 1 sweet gem lettuce (or other similar lettuce), sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced finely
- 150g baby plum tomatoes (or similar)
- ⅓ cucumber, cut into half-moon shapes
- 100g feta, chopped into 1cm cubes
- Large handful of black olives
- 1-2 teaspoons oregano
- Juice of half a lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the lettuce and arrange in a serving bowl. Scatter over the onions, tomatoes, cucumber, feta and black olives.
- Sprinkle over some oregano, the juice of half a lemon, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and some salt and pepper to taste.