Do you love the salad you get in Indian restaurants? Well, now you can make it at home! This delicious Kachumber salad goes brilliantly with Butter Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, Chicken Korma and all your other fakeaway curry favourites!
Indian Restaurant Salad
Do you really love the salad you get in Indian Restaurants? Kachumber salad is super easy to make at home and makes a brilliant side dish for any of your favourite curries.
All you need to do is slice red onions and marinate them in a little lemon juice and salt, then add sliced tomatoes and cucumber, plus some cumin seeds. Give everything a good stir, then set aside for 10 minutes or so to allow the flavours to mix and mingle. Easy peasy!
Why marinate the onions?
Marinating the onions in lemon juice and salt softens the flavour of the onions, while the onion flavours the lemon juice, turning it into a delicious dressing for the salad. Make sure you don’t miss this step, as it makes all the difference!
What to serve Kachumber salad with?
Make it your own
This Kachumber Salad is easy to adapt. Here are some ideas:
- Add a handful of chopped mint and/or fresh coriander (cilantro)
- Add some feta cheese and/or pomegranate seeds for a more Middle Eastern vibe
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce or salad leaves
- Add chopped red chillies for a bit of heat
- Use lime juice instead of lemon juice
Can you make Kachumber Salad ahead of time?
Yes you can. In fact it’s best made 15-30 minutes ahead of time to allow the flavours to mix and mingle! But you can also make it several hours ahead of time, if you want. If you plan on eating your Kachumber Salad more than 30 minutes after you have made it, cover the salad and place it in the fridge until needed.
Kachumber salad is best made on the same day as you plan to eat it, but if you have any leftovers, it will keep for a day or so in the fridge.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ cucumber sliced
- 3 medium tomatoes sliced
- Place the sliced red onions, salt, and lemon juice in a bowl and mix thoroughly. (This will help soften the onions and make the flavour less harsh. The onions will also flavour the dressing beautifully.)
- Add the cumin, sliced cucumber and tomatoes and stir everything together.
- Leave to sit at room temperature for 15-30 minutes to allow the flavours to mix and mingle. (See Note 1.) Serve with your favourite curries, rice, naans and other Indian dishes.
- If you are not going to serve this salad within 30 minutes of making it, cover and place in the fridge until needed.
- This salad is best made on the same day as you plan to eat it, but if you have any leftovers, it will keep for a day or so in the fridge.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Easy Kachumber Salad for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.