Have you tried chicken shawarma yet? If not then you have been missing a treat – chicken drenched in a deliciously easy marinade, full of gorgeous Middle Eastern spices, then roasted in the oven for 20 minutes – so simple, but unbelievably good!
If you are a regular reader of Easy Peasy Foodie then will know I am utterly addicted to Middle Eastern flavours – and for good reason! The majority of Middle Eastern dishes are packed full of amazing flavours, yet are surprisingly simple to make – and if they are not normally easy to make, you can bet your bottom dollar I will work out a way to simplify it!! (Speaking of which, have you checked out my easy peasy version of Persian Jewelled Rice yet?)
This easy peasy Chicken Schawarma is one such dish – just a few simple spices, some garlic, oil, lemon and seasoning…leave to marinate for an hour or two (or don’t if you are in a hurry) and then pop on an oven tray and roast in a hot oven for 20 minutes – virtually zero effort and the result is AMAZING!!
This lovely recipe, like so many of mine, is a real dress up/dress down kind of recipe too. For a quick midweek supper, keep things really easy and serve in pittas or flatbreads with a simple salad. At the weekend, when you have more time, go all out and serve with hummus, tabbouleh, flatbreads, garlic sauce, Persian Jewelled Rice and all of your other Middle Eastern favourites. When I made this for the photographs, I served it with my homemade hummus, tabbouleh and flatbreads.
The great thing about almost all these dishes is they can be made in advance, and of course the chicken can be marinated in advance…making this perfect food for a dinner party. With everything prepped ahead of time, all you need to do is cook the chicken and get everything else out of the fridge – simples!!
This recipe is also super adaptable – I’ve used chicken mini fillets (AKA chicken tenders) to make this recipe super quick and easy, but it would work well with chicken breast fillets (cook for 30 minutes), chicken thighs or legs (cook for 40 minutes) or even as a whole chicken shawarma style! Now that would be a lovely thing, wouldn’t it? (Cook a 2kg chicken for 1h30 at 200C – follow this recipe) And don’t limit yourself to chicken – this marinade would work brilliantly with steak, turkey, salmon or halloumi and roast vegetables too!
This would also make a great barbecue recipe – simply marinate the chicken in the shawarma marinade and cook on the barbecue as you normally would. (If you are worried about food poisoning you could part cook in the oven and finish off on the barbecue). I’m thinking this would work particularly well as chicken shawarma kebabs, threaded on skewers with red peppers, aubergine and halloumi…oooh now you’ve got me thinking…**rushes to kitchen to test this out**.
And don’t forget to make the awesome yogurt and garlic sauce!! It is super simple and takes just a couple of minutes to make, but it will be well worth it drizzled all over the chicken – om nom!!
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons paprika (preferably smoked)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- 500g chicken mini fillets / tenders
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander / cilantro for garnish
- 150g Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or grated
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon mint (optional)
- In a large bowl mix together all the ingredients for the Chicken Shawarma, except the chicken fillets and the fresh coriander.
- Place the chicken in the marinade and turn to coat evenly – cover the bowl with clingfilm and marinate in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours, if you have the time (if not then just carry on with the next step)
- When you are ready to cook, preheat your oven to 200C and place the chicken on a baking tray, taking care to spread it out in a single layer.
- When the oven is hot, place the chicken in the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until cooked all the way through and starting to brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and shred the chicken, using 2 forks. Turn the shredded chicken in the pan juices then place on a serving plate. Drizzle over any remaining pan juices and then garnish with fresh coriander.
- You can either make this sauce ahead of time, or make it about 5 minutes before the chicken is due to come out of the oven.
- Simply mix together all the ingredients and serve! Garnish with mint, if you like.
Love chicken? Check out my collection of Easy Peasy Chicken Recipes…
Want more Middle Eastern Inspired Recipes? Find more here…
Pin Oven Baked Chicken Shawarma for later
Don’t want to miss a thing?