Easy to make and totally delicious, this Quorn Chicken Pie is a lovely vegetarian alternative to a roast dinner, but is quick enough to make on a busy weeknight too.
I am a big Quorn fan and you will find lots of Quorn recipes on my blog, but this Quorn Chicken Pie is definitely one of my favourites. I love Quorn because it is a cheap form of protein, low in fat and high in fibre. Quorn is also really popular with my kids and I know other meat eating friends whose kids actually prefer Quorn to meat. You can use the Quorn Chicken Pieces straight from frozen in my recipe too, making it a great standby meal.
If you don’t want to make it with Quorn you can use normal chicken instead: either a couple of chicken breasts cut into bite-sized pieces, or about 300-500g leftover roast chicken. Use chicken stock instead of vegetable stock.
This is also a great recipe for reheating the next day, or if someone is not going to be in until later. Just pop the leftover portion in the fridge until it’s needed. Reheat at 200C / 180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F, until piping hot all the way through (about 20 minutes).
I usually serve this with a carrot and swede mash, some sweetcorn or peas, and a green vegetable such as broccoli, cabbage or green beans.
Quorn Chicken Pie
Easy to make and totally delicious, this Quorn Chicken Pie is a lovely vegetarian alternative to a roast dinner, but is quick enough to make on a busy weeknight too. (Serves 4-6, depending on appetite.)
- 25 g butter
- 2 small leeks sliced
- 150 g chestnut mushrooms thinly sliced
- 200 g Quorn chicken pieces (or 400g leftover roast chicken or 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 vegetable stock cube (or 1 chicken stock cube)
- 300 ml boiling water
- 300 ml crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 500 g block puff pastry
- A small amount of milk
- Vegetables to serve
Pre-heat the oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Melt the butter in a deep, wide pan over a low heat. Add the leeks, stir and put the lid on. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Stir occasionally.
- Take the lid off, add the mushrooms and turn the heat up. Cook for 2 minutes and then add the Quorn chicken pieces. Cook for 2 more minutes.
Meanwhile make a simple gravy: put the plain flour in a jug. Crumble in the stock cube and mix together with a small amount of cold water. Add the boiling water and stir.
- When the Quorn chicken pieces have cooked for 2 minutes, add the gravy and the crème fraîche and stir. Add the salt, pepper and thyme and bring to the boil. Bubble for 2 minutes and then pour into a large oven dish.
- Roll out 1 pack of puff pastry to about 5cm bigger (in each direction) than your oven dish. Score the pastry gently in a crisscross design.
- Brush the pastry with a little milk and then place the pastry over the filling, tucking in the excess.
- Cook the pie in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the top is puffy and brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Serve with vegetables.
Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Want to see more Easy Peasy Vegetarian and Vegan recipes? Find more here…
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Quorn Chicken Pie for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!