This Chickpea, Feta and Bulgur Wheat Salad is similar to tabbouleh – but with the addition of chickpeas and feta cheese to make it extra delicious. Serve with pittas for a great weekend lunch or a quick evening meal.
A quick, simple and healthy salad
This delicious salad is really quick and simple to put together, full of flavour and pretty healthy too. It’s kind of based on a tabbouleh type salad – a lovely combination of bulgur wheat, cucumber, tomatoes and herbs – but with the addition of chickpeas and feta cheese to make it extra delicious.
A delicious lunch or light dinner…
This Chickpea, Feta and Bulgur Wheat Salad makes a great weekend lunch or a quick evening meal. (And if you have any leftovers, it makes a brilliant packed lunch the next day!)
Perfect as part of a mezze spread…
This salad would also work well as part of a selection of mezze too – you could serve it alongside pistachio nuts, hummus, tzatziki, falafels, olives, roasted red peppers and warm pittas for a really easy peasy dinner party starter or main.
An ideal prepare-ahead option
This is a great prepare-ahead meal. In fact, ideally this salad should be made a hour ahead of time to allow the flavours to mix and mingle together. But don’t worry, it will still taste good if you make it at the last minute – I usually do! It is just as tasty the next day too.
What to serve with Chickpea Salad?
This chickpea salad is delicious on it’s own or served with toasted pittas. Alternatively, serve as part of a mezze spread, or as a side dish for grilled meats or fish.
What to drink with Chickpea Salad?
This salad works well with crisp, fresh whites, like Spanish Albariño or Italian Pinot Grigio. It also works well with zingy New Zealand or Chilean Sauvignon Blancs. Fruity rosés also go very well.
What to do with leftover Chickpea Salad?
Put any leftovers into an airtight container and place in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze Chickpea Salad?
No, I don’t recommend freezing this salad.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Chickpea, Feta and Bulgur Wheat Salad
- 200 g bulgur wheat
- 400 ml boiling hot water
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons mint chopped finely
- 400 g tin chickpeas drained
- 150 g cherry tomatoes chopped into quarters
- 2 spring onions sliced finely
- 150 g cucumber diced
- 150 g feta chopped into 1cm / ¾inch squares
- 1 clove garlic crushed or grated
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the bulgur wheat and boiling water in a pan, place the pan on a high heat and bring back to the boil. Clamp a lid on and turn the heat off completely (move off the burner if you are on electric) and leave for 10 minutes, until the bulgur wheat has absorbed all the water and tastes cooked, but is still a bit nutty in texture. It shouldn’t be mushy. (The back of the packet often suggests cooking bulgur wheat for far too long, resulting in a mushy mess!)
- Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the ingredients for the salad and put them in a large bowl.
- When the bulgur wheat is ready, place in a sieve and rinse under cold water until it is cold. Ensure the bulgur wheat is well drained, then tip it into the bowl with the rest of the salad ingredients and stir to combine.
- Add 4 tablespoons of olive oil to the bowl along with the juice of 1 lemon and a good grinding of salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly to combine.
- If you have time, put the salad into the fridge (covered) for an hour to allow the flavours to develop. (If you don’t have the time, don’t worry – it’s not essential!)
- Serve with warm pittas – I find the easiest way to warm pittas is to toast them. You can even toast pittas from frozen!
- Serves 4 as a main course. It will serve more people as a side dish or starter.
- Not suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Bulgur Wheat, Feta and Chickpea Salad for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!