This is one of my favourite weekend brunch recipes – all the flavours of a full English breakfast in a frittata. It’s really quick and simple to make and tastes delicious. Plus, if you make too much it tastes great cold too – perfect for packed lunches the next day!
I like to serve this with buttered toast or crusty white bread – anything else seems a bit much for breakfast! But if you are serving this nearer lunchtime you could add a side salad.
I’ve started by grilling my sausages, because that’s what I prefer, but feel free to fry or oven cook them if that’s how you like them. Or, to make this even easy peasier, you could use some leftover sausages.
- 4 sausages
- 4 slices of streaky bacon
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 100 g cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 200 g potatoes peeled and diced
- 8 eggs preferably organic – they taste so much better!
- Salt and pepper
- Heat your grill to medium. Place the sausages under the grill and cook for 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Chop the bacon into small pieces and fry on a fairly high heat for about 3 minutes in a dry non-stick frying pan – until the bacon pieces are starting to go brown. Stir frequently to stop the bacon sticking.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and fry for 2 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the potato and cook for another couple of minutes before adding in the cherry tomatoes.
- When the sausages are ready, remove them from the grill and cut each sausage into 6 pieces, taking care not to burn yourself! Put the sausage pieces into the frying pan and mix everything together. Turn down the heat.
- Break the eggs into a small jug and add some salt and pepper. Beat until the yolk and whites are well combined, then tip into the frying pan. Give the pan one quick stir to ensure the egg is evenly distributed and then don’t stir again, or you’ll end up with scrambled egg!
- Make sure the pan is on a very gentle heat and cook for 5 minutes, then pop the pan under a medium grill for a further 5 minutes to cook the top of the frittata.
- Remove the pan from the grill, slice the frittata into 4 portions and serve with buttered toast or crusty white bread.