An easy, quick and family friendly meal, Leftover Chicken and Egg Fried Rice is perfect for a busy weeknight and a great way to use up your roast chicken leftovers…No leftover chicken? No problem. Read on to find out how to ‘create’ some leftovers…
Hands up who loves a good chicken roast dinner? Me, me, me!! It’s definitely one of my favourites…especially my latest favourite Greek Roast Chicken or my ever popular Classic Roast Chicken with Homemade Gravy.
But inevitably with a roast chicken there’s always some leftovers (especially if you are like me and deliberately create some leftovers!) and then there’s the dilemma of what to make with it.
Of course you could make chicken sandwiches or have cold meat and salad…but if you want to try something a bit more interesting, why not give my Leftover Chicken and Egg Fried Rice a go?
This recipe makes good use of leftovers, turning them into a really easy, family friendly weeknight dinner.
What’s more, by using a pack of ready prepared rice and easy veggies (hardly any chopping!), it’s quick too – this recipe takes just 15 minutes from start to finish – perfect for when time is tight, but you still want to eat well.
No leftover chicken? No problem – simply pan fry two chicken breasts for about 6-7 minutes on each side on a medium heat, leave to rest for 5 minutes, shred using a couple of forks and then continue with the recipe below.
To make this meal a little healthier I have used brown rice, but it will work just as well if you use white rice.
I have used pre-cooked rice to make this dish really quick and easy, but if you prefer to cook your own rice, do that first – you will need about 170g uncooked rice to produce 500g cooked rice.
When you have cooked your rice, you must cool it down first before starting this recipe – warm rice will not work as well! I find the quickest way to do this is to drain my cooked rice in a sieve and then run the cold tap over it until it is cool.
Finally I leave it to sit over the pan it cooked in until it has dried out a little bit. Alternatively leave your rice to cool to room temperature, then put it in a plastic box in the fridge until you need it.
This recipe will also work really well with leftover pork, ham, bacon or pre-cooked prawns. Alternatively, to make a vegetarian version, you could use tofu or Quorn chicken pieces. This recipe is naturally dairy free and if you make sure you use gluten free soy sauce (tamari), it is gluten free too.
Or, if you fancy a more unusual twist, why not try my Chinese Style Lamb Fried Rice?
Need more ideas for your roast chicken leftovers?
Need more inspiration? Check out my collection of easy leftover chicken recipes >>
Leftover Chicken and Egg Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive, rapeseed or coconut oil
- 300-500 g leftover chicken shredded
- 500 g pre-cooked brown rice
- 100 g frozen peas
- 100 g frozen sweetcorn
- 1 red pepper diced
- 4 spring onions sliced finely (plus 2 extra for garnish)
- 3 cloves garlic crushed or grated
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (or GF tamari)
- Put 2 tablespoons olive, rapeseed or coconut oil in a large frying pan or wok and heat over a medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked rice, shredded chicken, frozen peas, frozen sweetcorn, red pepper and spring onions. Stir fry 3-4 minutes, until everything is warmed through and the frozen veg is no longer frozen.
- Add the garlic and stir fry for 1 more minute.
- Meanwhile crack the eggs into a large mug or small jug and whisk together lightly with a fork. Make a well in the middle of the rice mixture and pour in the eggs – cook for 30 seconds, then mix the rice mixture and eggs together.
- Continue frying for a couple of minutes, stirring occasionally, until you start to get some nice crispy brown bits. Pour in the soy sauce and sesame oil and fry for 1 more minute.
- Serve scattered with a few extra spring onions. Put the bottles of soy sauce and sesame oil on the table for everyone to help themselves to extra, if needed.
Need more ideas? Check out these 12 Easy Leftover Roast Chicken Recipes
Love chicken? Check out my collection of Easy Chicken Dinners…
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Leftover Chicken and Egg Fried Rice for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!