Broccoli meets puttanesca in this simple Broccoli, Lemon and Chilli Pasta. The broccoli combines beautifully with typical puttanesca flavours of garlic, chilli, anchovies, lemon and capers to create a wonderful, light, summery pasta dish. Best of all this recipe can be made in under 15 minutes!
Broccoli really is the star of this dish – try to buy the best available. I have used normal broccoli, but this recipe would also work well with tenderstem or purple sprouting broccoli. I have used a steamer in this recipe to lightly steam the broccoli, as I prefer the flavour and it helps preserve the nutritional content and bright green colour. However, if you don’t have a steamer, you can boil the broccoli in the same pan as your pasta.
I love anchovies and they really help to give flavour and seasoning to this dish. However, if anchovies aren’t your thing, or you want to make this veggie, just leave them out!
Broccoli, Lemon and Chilli Pasta
- 400 g pasta I used fusilli, but penne would work well too
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 chilli deseeded and chopped finely (or ½ a teaspoon of dried chilli flakes)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or grated
- 25 g anchovies chopped finely (optional)
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 300 g broccoli chopped into small florets
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan to serve finely grated
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions / your own preferences.
- Cut the chilli in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds and membranes (unless you like it hot, in which case leave them in!) Chop the chilli flesh and the anchovies finely. Grate or crush the garlic.
- Put 4 tablespoons of olive oil into a fairly large saucepan or frying pan (it should be big enough to hold the cooked pasta) and add the chilli, garlic, anchovies and capers. Heat gently on a low heat, stirring to break up the anchovies. Do not let the garlic burn!
- Four minutes before the pasta is cooked, put a steamer over the pasta and put the broccoli in the steamer. Steam for 4 minutes until the pasta and broccoli are cooked.
- Drain the pasta and add the pasta and broccoli to the chilli and garlic mix along with a splash of the pasta cooking water. Add the lemon juice and zest plus a pinch of salt and a good grinding of black pepper.
- Stir everything together and serve drizzled with extra olive oil and sprinkled with parmesan.
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…