It’s not just turkey that we can end up having kicking about at this time of year. There are all kinds of leftovers and bits and bobs lurking in our fridges. This is a wonderfully simple, yet slightly decadent pasta dish to make with any cream and smoked salmon that might be leftover after Christmas.
This recipe is so super simple and yet looks really pretty and tastes AMAZING! Weirdly, my kids absolutely adore this dish and go mad for it, even though I sprinkle it liberally with yucky green stuff (AKA dill) and I would have thought smoked salmon was a fairly mature taste…but no, not according to my kids!
I’ve made this dish with linguine, which I think works really well, but it would also work well with spaghetti, tagliatelle or any other pasta shape really…whatever you have to hand.
I tend to serve this on its own but you could always add a little side salad if you fancied it. Something with a lemony dressing would work well. This dish goes really well with a light, crisp French Chardonnay, such as Chablis.
- 300g linguine (or any other pasta shape)
- 200g smoked salmon, half sliced and half chopped
- 50g parnesan, finely grated
- 30g dill, finely chopped
- 300ml cream
- 25g butter
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook the pasta according to packet instructions / your own preferences.
- Slice half the smoked salmon into ribbons and chop half into rough pieces, grate the parmesan and chop the dill.
- Place the cream and butter in a pan and gently melt the butter and bring the sauce just up to the boil then turn off.
- Add the roughly chopped salmon (not the ribbons) and half the parmesan and dill plus some salt and pepper to the sauce and stir. The salmon will gently cook in the heat of the cream.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and add it to the sauce along with a couple of tablespoons of cooking water.
- Divide the pasta and sauce between the plates and lay over the remaining salmon ribbons. Sprinkle with lots of parmesan and dill and serve with a glass of Chablis.
I’m linking this up to Festive Food Fridays and Recipe of the Week.