Want something different to do with your turkey leftovers this year? How about making this Mexican Style Rice Salad? This gorgeous warm salad is full of delicious Tex-Mex flavours and is great for using up small amounts of leftover turkey or chicken.
A great way to use up leftover turkey
This delicious Warm Mexican Style Rice Salad – inspired by the flavours of Chilli Con Carne and Guacamole, is a great way to use up leftover roast turkey. And it is very quick and simple to make – just 15 minutes total time and, best of all, only one pan!
If you don’t have any roast turkey leftovers, this would work equally as well with leftover cooked chicken or some cooked prawns – or leave out the meat altogether and this would make a delicious vegetarian and vegan friendly meal.
A great recipe for buffets and potlucks
This Mexican Style Rice Salad is also naturally gluten free and dairy free, making this a great choice for serving at a Boxing Day or New Year’s Day buffet or potluck, where there might be a variety of different dietary requirements to cater for.
It can be served warm or cold
I’ve made this a warm salad as I much prefer warm food at this time of the year, but this salad tastes equally great cold. Just leave it too cool to room temperature, then put it in the fridge for a couple of hours to get properly cold.
Alternatively, if you are in a hurry, cool the rice under cold water and drain thoroughly, then add in all the other ingredients without cooking them first – it will taste slightly different, but still delicious!
To make it milder or more spicy…
I have suggested using fresh red chillies and extra spring onions for garnish, but feel free to miss that off if you don’t want the bother, or are catering for those who don’t like hot food.
Alternatively, if you want to increase the heat in this dish, add half a fresh red chilli to the frying pan with the spring onions for a fiery kick!
For me this Mexican-style Turkey Rice Salad is a complete meal in itself, but if you are feeling the need for something extra you could serve this with bread, tortillas or a green salad.
It would also be really delicious with a big scoop of homemade guacamole on the side.
Wine-wise, this warm rice salad would go brilliantly with a glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc.
More leftover turkey recipes…
For more great ways to use up leftover roast turkey check out my roundup of 10 Easy Ideas for your Turkey leftovers.
Warm Mexican Style Rice Salad with Leftover Turkey
- 200 g rice (white, brown or wild)
- 4 spring onions sliced
- 1 red pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 200 g leftover cooked turkey or chicken roughly chopped or shredded
- 1 teaspoon mild chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 400 g tin kidney beans drained
- 150 g cherry tomatoes chopped into quarters
- 1 avocado diced
- Sliced fresh red chilli and extra spring onions for garnish (optional)
- First, cook your rice according to the packet instructions or your personal preferences.
- While the rice is cooking slice your spring onions, dice your red pepper and finely chop or crush the garlic.
- Drizzle the olive oil into a large frying pan or wok and stir-fry the spring onions, peppers and garlic for about two minutes over a medium heat. Add the turkey pieces and fry for another 3 minutes until the turkey is piping hot all the way through.
- Add the chilli powder, salt and pepper, plus the juice of 1 lime and stir together. Tip in the kidney beans and cook for another 3 minutes until the kidney beans are warmed through. Add in the chopped tomatoes and avocado and mix everything together. Allow the tomatoes and avocados to cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice, stir everything together and serve scattered with sliced fresh chilli and spring onions, if you want.
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?