Wondering what to do with your leftover roast beef? Why not make this delicious Leftover Roast Beef Chilli? It’s quick, simple and even tastier than a chilli made with mince. No roast beef leftovers? No problem! Read on to find out how you can ‘create’ some leftovers.
I love a joint of roast beef on a Sunday, but inevitably there are leftovers! You could of course have cold meat the next day or roast beef sandwiches, but I much prefer to use my leftovers to make this delicious Leftover Roast Beef Chilli con Carne. And because it’s made with roast beef it’s much tastier than a chilli made with mince and much quicker than a slow cooked beef chilli, making it perfect for a busy weeknight.
This recipe makes a medium hot chilli, just enough spice to balance the flavour of the beef, but still keep it family friendly (this is just about on the limit of what my kids can cope with!), but if you prefer a milder or hotter flavour, simply adjust the chilli powder and chilli flakes to your liking.
This Leftover Roast Beef Chilli is great served with steamed basmati rice, Homemade Guacamole and my Easy Peasy Salsa. Alternatively serve in tortilla wraps or on baked potatoes with grated cheese and sour cream.
No leftover roast beef? No problem. You can easily make this quick and tasty beef chilli using beef mince, diced beef or even steak if you want a real treat! Simply brown off the mince or diced beef and then follow the recipe below. For the steak version, cook your steak in a super hot pan for 2 minutes on each side, then leave to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into bite-sized pieces and continuing with the recipe.
More ideas for roast beef leftovers…
Need more ideas? Check out my other leftover roast beef recipes.
Leftover Roast Beef Chilli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed or chopped small
- 3 teaspoons mild chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin kidney beans
- 300 ml beef stock fresh or from a cube (I use Kallo Organic)
- 500 g leftover roast beef cut into small cubes (see note)
- 300 g basmati or long grain rice to serve
Put a drizzle of olive oil into a wide, deep pan and add the diced onion. Put the lid on and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes until softened but not brown. Stir occasionally.
Add the garlic, chilli powder and chilli flakes. Stir and cook for 1 more minute, uncovered.
Add the chopped tomatoes, kidney beans and beef stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the beef and cook for a further 5 minutes until the meat is piping hot all the way through.
While the chilli is cooking, cook the rice according to the packet instructions or your own preferences.
(1) If using beef mince or diced beef, simply brown off the meat first and then continue with the recipe. Add the beef back into the pan when you add the tomatoes and stock and cook your chilli for 20 minutes.
(2) If using steak, cook your steak in a super hot pan for 2 minutes on each side, then leave to rest for 5 minutes before cutting into bite-sized pieces and continuing with the recipe exactly as written (adding the meat into the pan 5 minutes before the end).
Love Mexican Food? Find more easy peasy Mexican inspired recipes here…
Want more delicious and hassle-free midweek meals? Find more here…
Pin Leftover Roast Beef Chilli for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?