A quick and simple version of a classic, this Easy Peasy Chilli Con Carne is packed full of flavour, but ready in just 30 minutes. Serve with all your Tex-Mex favourites for a real crowdpleaser of a midweek meal.
Dinner in a hurry!
Many chilli con carne recipes advise long slow cooking for maximum flavour… and that’s lovely if you have the time… but there are days when there is just NO TIME for any such long slow simmering and loving attention… Like when I’m busy with work, the kids have activities after school, and juggling all our various comings and goings to make sure everyone is where they are supposed to be at the time they are supposed to be there feels like a military campaign! (Please tell me you know EXACTLY what I’m talking about?!)
Well, this Easy Peasy Chilli Con Carne is for THOSE days. It’s quick, it’s easy and it’s GOOD – packed with flavour and on the table in just 30 minutes.
Better still, this Easy Peasy Chilli Con Carne is a real crowdpleaser – I know if I make this, there will be NO complaints at the dinner table and my kids will wolf it down.
What to serve with Chilli Con Carne?
For a super easy and speedy dinner, simply serve the Chilli Con Carne with plain rice. But if you have more time, turn this dish into more of a ‘fiesta’, by serving the chilli with all your favourite Tex Mex sides, such as tortilla chips, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, grated cheese… whatever you love!
Alternatively, you could serve this easy chilli in tortilla wraps or tacos… or have it on a baked potato with a handful of grated cheese on top.
What to drink with Chilli Con Carne?
The bold flavours in Chilli Con Carne require a bold, flavoursome wine. A Cabernet Sauvignon, or Cabernet/Merlot blend from somewhere like Australia or South Africa is a brilliant choice here. Alternatively, try a Zinfandel from the USA or an Argentinian Malbec.
If you prefer beer, Chilli Con Carne goes great with a traditional brown ale.
Can leftover Chilli Con Carne be reheated?
Definitely! Make sure any leftovers are put in a plastic, lidded container and place it in the fridge, where it will keep for up to 3 days.
To reheat, place the chilli con carne in a saucepan and add a splash of water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until piping hot all the way through.
Alternatively reheat this Easy Peasy Chilli Con Carne in the microwave until piping hot all the way through.
Can Chilli Con Carne be frozen?
Absolutely! In fact, I recommend you make double the quantity and freeze half for some time in the future when you are super short on time, but still want to eat well!
Simply put the cooked and cooled chilli into a plastic, lidded container and place it in the freezer, where it will keep for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat as above.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Easy Peasy Chilli Con Carne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 500 g beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes (more if you like things HOT!)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 400 g tin kidney beans - including the water from the tin. (Or any type of bean you like! Black beans also work well.)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (cilantro) roughly chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- Place the olive oil, diced onion and pepper in a wide, deep pan and fry on a gentle heat with the lid on for 3-5 minutes, or until softened but not brown. Stir occasionally.
- Turn the heat up and add the beef mince. Fry for 3-5 minutes until the mince is nicely browned. Use a wooden spoon to break up the mince and stir frequently.
- Turn the heat down low and add the garlic, chilli flakes, cumin, smoked paprika and oregano. Fry for a further 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and stock cube, plus the kidney beans and all the water from the kidney bean can. Turn the heat up to bring to the boil, then turn down low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, stir in the fresh coriander (cilantro) and serve with plain rice and/or all your Tex-Mex favourites!
- Suitable for freezing.
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Easy Peasy Chilli Con Carne for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK HERE to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!