No time or energy to cook, but still want to eat well? This Very Easy Mediterranean Chicken Traybake is just the thing… Throw chicken, Mediterranean roasting vegetables and new potatoes onto a tray and let the oven do all the hard work!
The easiest chicken traybake ever!
This Mediterranean Chicken Traybake is SO EASY to make: Simply place new potatoes and Mediterranean vegetables in a roasting tray and top with chicken thighs or legs. Drizzle over some olive oil and add a sprinkling of herbs. Mix everything together and roast in the oven for 40 minutes. That’s dinner ready in 45 minutes with barely any effort involved!
Mediterranean Roasting Vegetables
To make this Mediterranean Chicken Traybake even more simple and easy to throw together, you can use ready prepared Mediterranean vegetables from the supermarket. Most supermarkets stock this. They usually contain a mix of courgettes, peppers, red onion and cherry tomatoes.
For busy days the pre-prepared Mediterranean vegetable packs make life really easy. I can get this dish into the oven in 5 minutes and have very little washing up to do. In fact, if you can get hold of those tiny baby new potatoes, you could make this whole meal without even getting a chopping board out!
If prefer, you can absolutely chop up your own veg: go for 1 large courgette, 2 peppers (different colours if you can), 1 red onion and a handful of cherry tomatoes.
What to serve with Mediterranean Chicken Traybake?
For maximum simplicity and minimum effort, I recommend serving this easy peasy traybake with a simple salad – the sort you get in a bag from the supermarket, would be just perfect. (Here I’ve used Baby Leaf Salad Mix from Fresh & Naked.) I simply tip the salad into a bowl and stick olive oil, salt and pepper on the table for everyone to dress their own salad.
What to drink with Mediterranean Chicken Traybake?
Chicken cooked like this is very wine friendly… it would probably go with most white wines! But my favourite match is a lightly oaked Chardonnay from somewhere like California, New Zealand or Chile.
If you prefer red, go for something like a Côtes du Rhône or a Merlot.
Can you reheat chicken traybake?
If you end up with leftovers, this chicken traybake can be reheated. Place the cooked and cooled chicken and vegetables in an airtight container in the fridge, where they will keep for up to 3 days. Reheat in an oven set to 200C (180C fan / gas mark 6 / 400F) for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is piping hot all the way through. You can also reheat this in the microwave, if you prefer.
Alternatively, the chicken and Mediterranean vegetables are delicious eaten cold – it makes a great packed lunch to take to work!
Can you freeze chicken traybake?
The chicken can absolutely be frozen. However, I don’t recommend freezing the Mediterranean vegetables as they tend to go mushy when frozen. Place the cooked and cooled chicken in an airtight container in the freezer, where it will keep for up to 1 month. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat as above.
If you like this recipe…
…you might also like:
Very Easy Mediterranean Chicken Traybake
Mediterranean Chicken Traybake
- 400 g new potatoes I like charlotte, halved (or whole if very small)
- 2x 475g Mediterranean Roasting Vegetables (onions, peppers, courgettes, baby tomatoes or similar - see Note 1)
- 8 chicken thighs/legs bone in, skin on
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- A few sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- Green salad (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F.
- Place all the traybake ingredients in a large roasting dish and mix together well. (I find it easiest to do this with my hands.)
- Arrange the vegetables and potatoes in one layer and place the chicken, skin-side up, on top of the vegetables.
- Roast in your preheated oven for 40 minutes.
- Serve just as it is, or with a green salad and a glass of white wine.
- To make this traybake super easy, I have used 2 packs of pre-prepared Mediterranean roasting vegetables. However, if you have more time and prefer to chop your own veg, use: 1 large courgette, 2 peppers (different colours if you can), 1 red onion and a handful of cherry tomatoes.
- Suitable for freezing (chicken only)
- Nutrition information is approximate and meant as a guideline only.
Pin Very Easy Mediterranean Chicken Traybake for later
FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Easy Dinners Meal Plan today!
Don’t want to miss a thing?
I am linking this up to Cook Blog Share.